Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Holidays

I worked Christmas and Thanksgiving for years, and breathed a hearty sigh of relief when I finally had enough seniority to avoid doing so. I don't have much of a problem with people having to work, as long as they're getting fairly compensated.

So had leftovers at my friends and we played cards for hours. We had so much fun! Between my son’s and them I won’t be cooking for awhile. Turkey is my favorite meat.

So thanksgiving itself I did with bf's family and did not host, and it ended up in humiliations I didn't even expect coming from nowhere. And I'm 5 years old again.

Day after thanksgiving I tried to do with my family as I planned it. But they flaked, claimed to be sick (might be, it is sick season afterall, might be faking it). This upsets me very little, as all the years I've been dealing with my family, nothing really surprises me. Expect disappointment and you won't be disappointed. Besides they disappoint but they don't humiliate so much.

So me and bf are left eating a 13 lb organic turkey we made ourselves (well turkey needs to be cooked sometime, it's not gonna keep forever, nor was it that cheap, can't waste it at this point ...). Oh there are leftovers. And all this despite all the lobbying I did. Lobbied for maybe making lasagna instead, no the people who want turkey want turkey. Tradition! Asked if a turkey breast will do. No a whole turkey is preferred, ok maybe someone likes dark meat. Went to 4 stores and drove 10 miles or so just looking for turkey and other ingredients a few days ago. Ok, I don't really love turkey but then I don't hate turkey.... I've got a lot of turkey. I don't really like going to restaurants either, much of the time I hate it, there are only a very few restaurants I don't dislike, going to restaurants is mostly something I do to please others sometimes. Nor with my family could we *ever* agree on the restaurant choice without acrimony either, so it hardly solves anything. But what's wrong with a nice homemade a veggie lasagna anyway? Noone invited dislikes or doesn't eat lasagna ..
    Trees don't grow on money

ApN, I think that’s the last time I would try to please either family. Sounds like a movie and dinner out to a place you do like would be better or inviting friends over.

ANM, that sucks. I'm so sorry. Come to VT next year with your bf.. We would love an organic turkey.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've always enjoyed this Christmas story from Northern Exposure, Chris in the Morning radio show.

"It's an old legend, that on Christmas Eve at midnight, all the animals fall on their knees and speak -- praising the new born Jesus.

Back in the winter of '68, my Dad was doing a short term for D and D. Mom was -- I'm not sure where Mom was. Anyway, I was home alone on Christmas Eve and I stayed up late to see if my dog, Buddy, would talk. He did -- at least I think he did. I don't remember Buddy's exact words, but that's not important. What matters is that a seven-year-old boy experienced his own personal epiphany.

My point? It's that Christmas reveals itself to each of us in a personal way -- be it secular or sacred. Whatever Christmas is -- and it's many things to many people -- we all own a piece of it. Kinda like Santa's bag, inside there's a gift for everyone.

My Christmas wish for you tonight -- may your dog talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've always enjoyed this Christmas story from Northern Exposure, Chris in the Morning radio show.

"It's an old legend, that on Christmas Eve at midnight, all the animals fall on their knees and speak -- praising the new born Jesus.

Back in the winter of '68, my Dad was doing a short term for D and D. Mom was -- I'm not sure where Mom was. Anyway, I was home alone on Christmas Eve and I stayed up late to see if my dog, Buddy, would talk. He did -- at least I think he did. I don't remember Buddy's exact words, but that's not important. What matters is that a seven-year-old boy experienced his own personal epiphany.

My point? It's that Christmas reveals itself to each of us in a personal way -- be it secular or sacred. Whatever Christmas is -- and it's many things to many people -- we all own a piece of it. Kinda like Santa's bag, inside there's a gift for everyone.

That's so nice! And whatever your Christmas wish is - may it come true.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Does anyone else think that the Holidays might be some dark social experiment to see if we can get through the winter months without killing any of our nearest and dearest? Sort of like "The Shining" with gravy and cranberry sauce?
    So timely. I just got a panicked call from a relative--calling on a phone that cut out so much I had to guess at what was being said. Now I'm swilling WishGarden's Deep Stress herbal decoction (not that it will help...). Bah Humbug doesn't begin to describe it. For once, I'm glad to have miles and miles between here and there.

I am enjoying these cool, dry days. Days when my house stay fairly clean, no excessive animal shedding, no mud and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

That actor was great in that role. Every time he is on screen,
    i still see him as Chris.

Thread Information