Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I should have been a pioneer woman

Iris lilies - I always enjoy your statement about not living north of interstate 80. I grew up on an Ohio farm that was bisected by route 80, but the house was 1/4 mile south of it. Then when we lived in Laramie we were about 1/2 mile north of route 80. Lots of my life was lived within a few miles of that interstate. It’s nice to be in Phoenix in the winter.

I would have worked at the brothel, and depended on the kindness of strangers.

Aside from quiltmaking, I doubt I have one pioneer skill. One of my great-great grandmothers was the community doctor who used to light out across the landscape to tend to the sick. Maybe I could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    One of my great-great grandmothers was the community doctor who used to light out across the landscape to tend to the sick. Maybe I could do that.
    Maybe you could have been a shaman or a witch doctor.. I could see you as that!

If I were here in the 15th/16th centuries, I think I could have worked at the local printing press if I had been bold enough to ask for a job there as woman, but if not, I'd have been happy just raising kids and tending to the chores.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Maybe you could have been a shaman or a witch doctor.. I could see you as that!

If I were here in the 15th/16th centuries, I think I could have worked at the local printing press if I had been bold enough to ask for a job there as woman, but if not, I'd have been happy just raising kids and tending to the chores.
    If I'd been around back then (and I suspect I was), I would have been burned as a witch--or narrowly escaped that fate.

I would have been comfortable being grandmother Magdalena's apprentice in a later time.

My grandfather was a cattle rancher in the high mountains of western Colorado and I was always enthralled with his way of life. Several times when I was younger, we visited his long abandoned summer and winter cabins so so isolated from the modern world. The only thing I would detest is having to use the outhouse. I imagine the chamber pot got a lot of use back then.

Wonderful thread!

Yppej
    The closest I have come is when the power is out several days in a row in the middle of winter and I have to cope.

Generally I avoid power tools. For instance, I will cut down a tree with a hand saw though it takes a long time.

But I do not consider myself a pioneer because my mother grew up getting water from a pump, using an ice house instead of a refrigerator, riding a horse and buggy to school, etc up in rural Saskatchewan.

As far as the whole pioneer woman thing goes - I can hardly stand to think of living in a time before Tampax tampons, reliable birth control and full access to educational opportunities. I'm sure there are at least 100 other things, but these are the ones that first come to mind. I am living in the right place at the right time.

I agree with rosarugosa. I like living in this time AND place! as I feel I have way more choices than a lot of other people may have.

Pioneer skills - I'm thinking my sourdough starter counts. Have had it for over a decade now and can make a decent, edible loaf of bread. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yeah, that was my take on it too. No birth control would probably rule out my raucous life as a lady of the evening. I suppose I could have been a nun...Supposedly, I have relatives of that ilk, too.

I can rise (or sink) to the occasion as necessary, but I've been camping and I've survived days without electricity, and I can't romanticize primitive living. If anything, I was born a couple of decades too soon.

Thread Information