Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying Down Debt!

Paying Down Debt!

I went for a couple of years without having debt at all, until all hell broke loose last year and had some unforseen medical events. I had to go on some payment plans and today I am happy to report that my left wrist ulna shortening osteotomy from October 2018 is totally PAID OFF! That leaves me with a $680 bill left to pay on the other surgery I had last January (the initial bill for my portion of the costs was about $1400). I hit my total out-of-pocket expenses by April 2019 and ended up having three more surgeries this past year but were all paid for at 100%. So all the followup x-rays, doctor appointments and OT therapy will be paid for until Dec. 31, 2019.

I will probably pay that bill off in the next two or three months (I'll pay extra on the $131.00 each month to get it done faster).

I won't be staying out of debt for too long though; the bad news is that I may have to consider replacing Black Betty, my 2003 Honda Accord. The power steering went out last week (I had replaced the power steering pump last April, so maybe it is still under some sort of warranty if that is what it is). But there are other issues - it needs a complete brake job (probably rotors too), there is a new slight oil leak, and the rebuilt transmission I had done back in Michigan has been a bit wonky (only at really low speeds though, around 3 to 5 mph it tends to stick and not shift until you tap the brakes or throw it into a higher gear). I will find out on Friday when my mechanic takes a look-see and have to decide whether to keep throwing money into this vehicle. It has almost 160,000 on it.

And the house needs a new roof, could really stand to have many windows replaced, and the stucco needs finishing. So on and on and on it goes....life was a bit simpler when I lived in the tiny house for three years with virtually no bills to pay!

You are doing well with all your challenges covered. Any commitment to another and to a house costs more than living on one's own but it is worth it. So glad for the update. Wishing well as you work through all the steps ahead. How is the surgery and recovery coming along with your creative efforts? Back to where you were?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with Razz that with all the expenses you are doing well. Houses are costly at times but I bet you are enjoying your space and BF.

Yes, I am impressed as well. Were you always this good at vanquishing debt?

I hope the mechanic can patch Betty together. 160k is not that much for a Honda!

Congrats! It is such a relief to get out of debt - even if it doesn't last. It's nice to know one is able to accomplish it. I hope you are healing and staying well with regards to the health issues. Good luck with the car as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Any commitment to another ... costs more than living on one's own
    It's been this way in my experience, but in theory it shouldn't be. There should be economies of scale if the other is an adult equal, not a dependent.

I am wondering about your Honda. Our last one had 198,000 before it was taken out by a semi and thankfully it saved my husband's life. We had some transmission work done but other than regular oil changes and battery, nothing much else but the regular checkups. We have had 6 Honda's and that one was the only one with any repair. Sounds like a lemon.

We do use synthetic oil and live in the Midwest which does get both hot and cold. It sounds like it will nickel and dime you to death. Perhaps better to bite the bullet and get a different car for reliability.

I may have dodged a big bullket on the car! I had it towed into Santa Fe yesterday after it sitting in the driveway for a week (I have a AAA Plus membership which allows up to 100 miles of towing). I later drove my boyfriend's pickup to do errands all over town and stopped by my mechanics to make sure it got there safely. He said he drove the car around and there was nothing wrong with the steering - so weird! The day I was convinced that the power steering had gone out it was almost impossible to turn the wheel to get it into a parking spot; I had tested it a couple of times that day by driving down to the post office three miles away. Apparently it fixed itself by sitting in the driveway for a week?

Anyway, he is going to check out the brakes on Friday, which Firestone said needed all sorts of work when I took it in for an oil change last week. I learned a LONG time ago to take Firestone's recommendations with a grain of salt; they definitely try to inflate all the services they say you need. I take their recommendations straight to my trusted mechanic and let him asses what needs to be done.

I really want this car to last at least another two years!

Just WOW! It is really, really worth the time and effort to develop a relationship with a trusted car mechanic wherever you live - mine just saved me about $700 on repairs that Firestone "recommended" at my last oil change. They said all this dire stuff about my brakes needing needing pads and rotors, and all of it was BULLSH**T. I only go to Firestone for oil changes because this has happened to me back in Michigan when I was younger and more naive. I NEVER allow them to do any work on my car anymore (unless it's for an oil change or new tires) before I have my mechanic look at it. I am going to go up there next week and give them a piece of my mind - how many people do they swindle because they are short on time and their car is already in the shop anyway....

So Black Betty will be just fine and back on the road tonight! My goal is that she is going to last me for another two years, doable on a 2003 Honda with 160,000 miles on it! Provided the transmission glitch doesn't get any worse, that is.

And the power steering problem? Weirdly enoughA non-issue; he said it was fine, drove it all around and it's all good. Must have been a fluke that day I was having trouble with it (I KNOW it was not my imagination)!

Thread Information