Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you living the life you wanted when you were a child?

Certainly, would depend on what point in your childhood your talking about. My thought when I was two (and my first memory), certainly not, as my grandfather died, when I was six.
    By the time I was in my teens, I had hoped to me joining the military, to escape this place, as I always thought I would be dead by thirty, just not sure by whose hand. That was shot down when I was eighteen, and declared 4F, while being threatened with jail time if I didn't register for the draft.
    I never expected to live this long and so my goals, I achieved most of them in some form, by the time I was 25.

Tech, I have been both into, and not. At several points in my life, people tried to drag me into it, because I was good at it and it seemed to come easily. Everything I enjoyed, that went down that road (do what you love, was what people told me as a kid), turned into things I hated, because I always dealt with other peoples problems. I never got into the social media aspect side of software. Forums such as this, are as much about subject matter and content, then social media (look at me, this celebrity, divisive political jabs, etc.) I've know too many people where security and privacy are actual concerns, and the celebrity thing causes me trouble (hey since you know x, can you get me an autographed cd). Where tech was supposed to make the world a smaller place and provide information and entertainment, while it does the later, IMHE, the world is already a much smaller place then I even realized as a kid.
    For me, at this stage, it is more existing, then living.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted a pony.

Now I have one.

My life is complete

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    For as long as I can remember, I wanted a pony.

Now I have one.

My life is complete
    wonderful! Is this a recent acquisition?

Tell us about this pony please. Where you got it and what you plan to enjoy doing together? Horses are a major commitment but so worth it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I had lost my beloved Arabian boy Zar in July after owning him for 23 years (he was 34). While looking at a farm's website last year, I saw an ad for a pinto pony for sale and thought that I'd like a pony next. When Zar died, I lasted only two weeks before looking for another; having a horse is such a big part of my life that I felt lost and empty without one. For the heck of it, I checked to see if the pony was still for sale, thinking he would be gone by now. The trainer had me come and try him out and he was a perfect fit. He was a barn favorite and the trainer had bought him back when he didn't work out with someone else who had bought him. She was thrilled he was happy with me and I with him and she would only sell him to the right person.

So now Merlyn (Welsh for pony) is part of the next phase of my horse life. I kept him where he was, I take lessons with the trainer (French classical dressage), met a great bunch of people, and am totally smitten with my fluffy pony. He's smart, kind, honest and stinking adorable.

Here's a link to the farm's Facebook page. There's a video of us warming up for our lesson. https://www.facebook.com/patewoodfarm/

I remembered your loss of your horse. So pleased you found a new one. I don’t remember you doing dressage though. Is this a new adventure for you?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Nope, always loved dressage. I took lessons for many years but changed barns often and stopped when my horse became older. No big ambitions of showing; just want to enjoy learning and riding as well as I can. There's always room for improvement and always something to learn. The fact that he's a fluffy pony instead of a big sporthorse bred for dressage just makes it more fun.

He is a lovely pony!

What a beautiful pony! Congrats and I wish you both wonderful times together.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

What a gorgeous boy and what a lovely facility. I am horseless at the moment and boy does this make me realize I am not living the life I wanted as a child as all I ever wanted was a horse.

I also miss riding at a barn with friends--the comraderie is so wonderful.

Thread Information