Thread: Interesting take on Black Friday.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Interesting take on Black Friday.....

I did participate this year by standing in line for Penny's 2 PM opening on Thanksgiving. Though I did score a few good deals I found the whole show stale and off putting, especially when I had to fight for a price published in their Black Friday ad. I might just skip it next year or just order online instead if the Black Friday price is available online.

I'm also wondering if this is one of the privileges of doing better economically..... the ability to unplug from Black Friday. Rob

I guess I timed some purchases that coincided with BF, before and after--bought a computer at Bestbuy for 200 dollars off, told my son about an Instant Pot for 49 dollars. The mall looked really full when we drove by on Friday, but it was a great day for grocery shopping, since everybody was at the mall.

I have a deep aversion to Black Friday, and particularly to the Black Thanksgiving creep. I'll go online and do Black Friday sales there, or CyberMonday, but I will never stand in line to get in a store and fight for the few loss leaders they've teased us with. Rob, I get that people with few means take advantage of those sales and it's one way to provide access to nice things at discount prices, but I feel it's a big scam. There are always sales somewhere.

Maybe you feel that because you are doing better economically you can unplug, but that's your choice. I don't think Black Friday is some unassailable salve for the working class until they do better economically. I think it's marketing hype that only benefits the sellers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

catherine is right there always sale somewhere. I don’t get the whole love for sales anyway since they don’t seem real to me.

my black Friday shopping was actually on the Saturday after TGiving when I went to one of the thrift stores. There was a great looking crockpot there for $7 plus some dishes I need for a flower show next spring. I walked away from them thinking that the crockpot may be just a tad bit too small and I had to go home and check the size of my current crockpot before hauling that thing home with me from the thrift store.

When I went back the next day I was astonished that both items were gone. I wasn’t surprised the crockpot was gone because it was an especially good looking one, and there are always crockpots at the thrift stores. But the vanished dishes surprise me because they were a little vintage she probably from the 40s but I didn’t think the thrift store crowd will pick up on that. And now I am happy to think that the entire set of dishes left the store sine I would have purchased only two plates and two bowls, breaking up the set which for vintage dishes would not of been a great thing.

TLDR. Two days in a row I went to the thrift shop and both days came home with empty hands.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post

I'm also wondering if this is one of the privileges of doing better economically..... the ability to unplug from Black Friday. Rob
    Rats and cheese.

Out of the decamillionaires I know, I can't think of a one, that would go fight in line to get something.
    1. When they shop for something, it is normally after a decent amount of research and deal shopping, already.
    2. If they are going to spend more, it is because of the service they receive benefit from (either at the store or by having someone bring it to them). With the advent of computer and delivery, if there is something they have already been researching that they can get on bf/cm, then it is just bonus points that they were already getting it. (really can only think of one instance of this)
    3. Their money is better off, probably in the stock market of these companies when bf/cm hits and the reports of afterwards
    4. Time is money, and they don't want to waste it, dealing with pennies and loads of people acting like idiots.

BF is about loss leaders, to bring people in, to spend more, and drive up the black ink of the stores. Generally, the deca gang, aren't about "shopping", until you get to something like the Paris Hilton's of the world. (those aren't our bf type of stores, nor would they want to be)

We went to the thrift store to get 4 or 6 luncheon sized china plates to use for our cat's food. Found 49 cent ones.

Also found (impulse buy) a decorated Xmas knitted vest for Mom. She loved it and now has a somewhat ugly sweater to wear to the ugly sweater meeting she mentioned to us earlier. $5 was a lot better than the $38 one we saw even if they mark it down 50%. I mean who really wants to buy an ugly sweater at retail?

I am happier to stick to my favorite online fabric seller who always has interesting fabric at 50-75% off rather than hope that someone will put on a BF sale and have to drive, stand in line, and spend all that time for what is generally not as good a deal. We dont need anything which is a good feeling.

Actually it really pisses me off that stores are opening on thanksgiving and many are paying their employees straight time. We don’t shop on Black Friday either. If I need something I will look online.

Personally I hate shopping in stores so BF has always seemed like a special kind of hell to me. The idea that I would ruin a perfectly good thanksgiving by setting foot in a store is simply outside my realm of possibility.

This year, however, I did in fact go shopping on BF. Target was offering a $200 gift card to purchasers of an iPhone 11. Id planned on a new phone fairly soon anyway because my iPhone 6 was pushing 5 years old. Thankfully the store was not busy so I got helped almost as soon as I walked through the door. In addition to the gift card I also got 5% off for trying to open a target credit card (my credit reports are all frozen so the attempt failed but I still got the discount).

I only did the standing in line once - many years ago. Since then, I never shopped on Black Friday... until this past one. I went out in the afternoon to tag along with a friend, more to keep company than to shop. I did pick up a couple of things and it was a pleasant afternoon. Everyone in the stores - from customers to sales people - were so nice! Everyone seemed in a good mood and were polite when passing/bumping/getting in lines/etc. Maybe because it was the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information