Thread: Arizona Border Drama.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Arizona Border Drama.....

The Arizona Republic (the Phoenix paper) is reporting today that migrants are now trying to enter the US via car in the car lanes. Due to this, times to cross into the US via automobile this weekend ran up to 11 HOURS. That's right, up to 11 hours to reenter the US at the Deconcini and Mariposa ports of entry at Nogales, Arizona. Utterly amazing. Rob

How much of it was family visiting family for Thanksgiving weekend?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I’m not sure what the issue is. If I decide to fly from one US airport to another, I have to provide documentation, be screened and so on. Border patrol and customs are charged with making sure people who come into this country are legally entitled to do so. If I drive into the US from Canada I must go through customS and immigration with the right documents. If I take a ship or plane to any European destination I need papers and stand in immigration and custom lines for as long as it takes.

Countries have laws and you you must abide by them. It matters not who is president laws are laws.

If you can see drama in a traffic jam then your life must be exciting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How much of it was family visiting family for Thanksgiving weekend?
    On the one hand, I believe you have a point here, and on the other hand I question how strong a point you make. Let me explain. I did not notice nor did the Arizona Republic article I referenced mention that this extreme length of time to cross the US border took place over Thanksgiving weekend. That could explain some business, BUT.....Mexico does not celebrate Thanksgiving. That said, legal US citizens, legal permanent residents, and dual US/Mexican citizens with time off this Thanksgiving weekend could indeed have opted to spend time with family in Mexico. I'm thinking your post could explain some, but not anywhere near all, of this extreme delay. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If you can see drama in a traffic jam then your life must be exciting indeed.
    I have ties to Mexico and I live in a border state. Not only that but as I've stated ad infinitum here, I view (and always have) Mexico as a safety valve for some of the deficiencies of US citizenship. Of course I am going to be concerned about such lengthy delays at the border - Mexico is very much a part of my life, and at the age of 53, I wouldn't have it any other way. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I’m not sure what the issue is. If I decide to fly from one US airport to another, I have to provide documentation, be screened and so on. Border patrol and customs are charged with making sure people who come into this country are legally entitled to do so. If I drive into the US from Canada I must go through customS and immigration with the right documents. If I take a ship or plane to any European destination I need papers and stand in immigration and custom lines for as long as it takes.

Countries have laws and you you must abide by them. It matters not who is president laws are laws.
    The issue is that 11, count them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.....an eleven hour wait to cross the border for a crossing that typically takes less than three hours under extreme conditions.....to me this is an issue. I can see screening out illegals attempting to enter the US in the car lanes and I am not faulting US CBP for such screening.....but ELEVEN HOURS? Excessive. It's almost as if a bit of retaliation against those who cross the border into Mexico and return to the US (meaning those doing such legally such as myself and my family). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I have ties to Mexico and I live in a border state. Not only that but as I've stated ad infinitum here, I view (and always have) Mexico as a safety valve for some of the deficiencies of US citizenship. Of course I am going to be concerned about such lengthy delays at the border - Mexico is very much a part of my life, and at the age of 53, I wouldn't have it any other way. Rob
    When the IRS puts me on hold for four hours or my flight gets delayed half a day, I don’t regard those as emotional triggers. I regard them as common annoyances. It never occurs to me to relate it to my lifelong grievances and resentments. Sometimes a lot of people want to pass through the same point.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The issue is that 11, count them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.....an eleven hour wait to cross the border for a crossing that typically takes less than three hours under extreme conditions.....to me this is an issue. I can see screening out illegals attempting to enter the US in the car lanes and I am not faulting US CBP for such screening.....but ELEVEN HOURS? Excessive. It's almost as if a bit of retaliation against those who cross the border into Mexico and return to the US (meaning those doing such legally such as myself and my family). Rob
    still not understanding. Are you trying to say migrants are to blame for this extreme hold up at the border?

Thread Information