Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Permanent Hair Color and Breast Cancer

I worked in the spa at a salon for years. All of the stylists wore gloves when coloring hair. It keeps their hands dye-free but also protects them from the chemicals. So if they're wearing gloves for something that's going on your scalp......?

Highlighting isn't as dangerous, as it's lightening your hair and the dye isn't usually put onto your scalp like roots to ends color.

I'm 53 and let my hair turn salt and pepper gray the last few years. Mostly I used demi permanent color but it just wouldn't cover the grey anymore and I didn't want the commitment and expense for permanent color. My hairstyle is a textured short pixie cut, which really looks good with the different shades of "sparkles" showing through.

A woman should let her hair go gray if she wants. But I think as she gets older, she should update the style. Long straight hair with a center part is only youthful on the young. Get something young and sassy and own it, and keep it healthy.

I used to wear a lot of fall colors (brown, rust, olive, gold). Now they don't look so great on me so I'm leaning towards prettier pastels. Well OK, old lady colors. But they suit me better and brighten up my face it bit more.

I read it for the first time in my life. I know so many people, who don't live a healthy life, but they are healthy as hell. At the same time I have a mste, who has cancer, but he was lead a healthy lifestyle.
    Anyway, if you want to believe in this info- it's up to you.

Yppej
    Health concerns aside, this is bringing up a lot of thoughts for me, including why does our culture think it is acceptable and dignified for men to go gray but not women. Look at our presidential candidates, who are valued for years of experience, as an example, the exception being Tulsi Gabbard with her gray stripe.

If I ever have to look for another job I would probably wear a wig or something to the interview. Age discrimination is real. One woman told me she could not get another job until she dyed her grays.

To me this hearkens back to the days of fearing older independent women as witches. At bottom it's a fear of aging because aging leads to death. We try to hide from that. People no longer die at home and have their bodies dressed at home, hospitals and funeral homes have taken over.

Women are the ones expected to spend more on their appearance even though they earn less than men. Going gray is feeling like a feminist stand to me, and a statement that this is the real me, and the real me is good enough.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongsoul View Post
    I know so many people, who don't live a healthy life, but they are healthy as hell. At the same time I have a mste, who has cancer, but he was lead a healthy lifestyle.
    The same could be said about smoking, I try to rely on science, not anecdotes.

Strong, the healthiest people I have known have died of cancer. I think a lot of it is environmental and hereditary. If I ever stop dying my hair it won’t be for health reasons.

klunick
    My mom didn't got grey until she was well into her 70's. My husband went grey in his 30's/early 40's. I am seeing a few grey hair pop up which get pulled out immediately but I think when the grey hair comes, I will just accept it. I am 48 and I've been mistaken for my husband's daughter before and our boys for his grandsons because he went grey so early.

I stopping the sporadic highlighting of my hair about 4 years ago to see if I had grey. I have a little. I don’t care. I stopped highlighting mostly to keep the chemicals off my body and out of our water supply, I also stopped fingernail polish/remover for the same reason. No makeup but that’s due to my numerous allergies and sensitivities.

I look like a 58 yr old woman. And I find great delight and subversive humor in living this way. Death to the overlords!

I quit coloring mine some time ago...can't even remember, maybe 4 yrs ago. I just thought to myself, "Who am I trying to kid?" I just really didn't (don't) want to look like I'm trying TOO hard. I'm not crazy about the color; I don't have any fun or dramatic streaks, but it is healthy-looking. I think the key is to make sure it doesn't get dried out looking (like the rest of me--ha).

Like Catherine, I stopped for multiple reasons, but mainly because I was resentful of the time and expense.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

For me it's not so much that I want to look younger. I don't mind the silvers, but most of my natural color is not attractive at all to me, it was once a very dark honey blonde, but now it seems like any trace of red is gone, it's almost ... khaki in some light. Every half year or so I give it another try, hoping I have enough silver to make it nicer. Haven't put anything on my head for about 3 months, will see how long I can keep going.

Thread Information