Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida and rising seas

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Florida and rising seas

Here is a big surprise. The NY Times had an article today about choices Keys governments are going to have to make. First of all, this is a very Republican State and many elected government officials are climate change deniers. It’s all a liberal hoax you know. See Rick Scott and Marco Rubio for examples. They tout personal responsibility. There is no State income tax and the laws are very friendly for rich people, many of whom live along the coast. Anyway, many people in the keys and along to coast and in the Keys want “the government” to save them. If you can access The NY Times the quotes from residents are especially telling I can’t seem to link it. If not, I added several articles to explain the problem.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/12/04/florida-keys-officials-roads-homes-lost-sea-level-rise/

https://www.businessinsider.com/miam...lutions-2018-4

who is responsible for building roads, dams, canals which eventually the water will breach?

Sad to say that only events like this are going to convince some (probably not all) people the coming climate changes are real. Now that climate change is starting to hit people's pocketbooks, I think the conversations may start to change.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It's good to be inland one state with 1 home at 2700f elevation and a 2nd at 5000f. Either way we could be waterfront

An interesting study came out yesterday on this topic. Apparently the models for climate change starting decades ago were quite accurate, but for the fact that they didn't accurately predict the level of greenhouse gases that would be emitted in the coming years. Correcting the old studies with the now known quantities of greenhouse gases renders most of them quite accurate.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...lobal-warming/

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    It's good to be inland one state with 1 home at 2700f elevation and a 2nd at 5000f. Either way we could be waterfront
    LOL. We're about 1 1/2 miles from the ocean but more than 300 feet above sea level. We won't likely ever be oceanfront (at least not in our lifetime) but some parts of the city will likely have water problems.

I live on a small island in the Pacific.

Luckily my house is at 1200 feet of elevation.

Unluckily, our village is at about 10.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Bae, your statement shows why even if your personal home is safe, far more will be effected by sea rise than those In low lying areas. Who will relocate or raise your village?

In the East, the major north south highway, route 95 is an important supply line. Many portions are not very far above sea level, and it crosses over many rivers that are flowing very high at times. The Binghamton area of N.Y. floods now mercilessly. Lake Ontario is at record high levels and personal property is being sacrificed to keep the St Lawrence seaway, a major shipping port open.

When hurricanes get stronger and dump record rainfall the rivers back up, aging dams and bridges are far more at risk.

Climate refugees all over the world will be trying to get to safety. Drinking water will be contaminated. Ports will need to be reconfigured. New Orleans is a classic example. This is a gigantic problem even for those safe in their homes now. How many hospitals, government properties, military bases, airports and so on could be affected? My guess is far more than we currently imagine.

a classic war strategy is cutting the supply lines and we are cutting our own supply lines.

In 2010, 123.3 million people, or 39 percent of the nation's population lived in counties directly on the shoreline. This population is expected to increase by 8% from 2010 to 2020.

How many will still have a livable home in 2050?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    In 2010, 123.3 million people, or 39 percent of the nation's population lived in counties directly on the shoreline. This population is expected to increase by 8% from 2010 to 2020.

How many will still have a livable home in 2050?
    My guess is that they will still have livable homes along the shoreline in 2050, but I think the shoreline will have a different location.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We are putting our house up for sale after the holidays. It’s at 10’ above sl. Most of the homes we are looking at are at 9’. They are still selling, prices are still rising. But Being on the water means I can at least have a boat handy.

If the seas rise to much in the next few decades, I can just migrate to a more favorable area, just like people have done in the past when conditions warrant it.

didnt Obama just buy a beach house? Surly he has the latest info on climate change.

Thread Information