Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida and rising seas

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    We are putting our house up for sale after the holidays. It’s at 10’ above sl.

My beach house, which my Mom and Sister live in, is right on the beach here, in a newly-mapped "flood zone". It's about 8' above SL. And very very close to the shore, when the wind is blowing onshore in a storm, salt spray hits the windows.

I have plans to move into this house when she's done with it. If I believe the most pessimistic predictions our local environmental groups are using when trying to advance shoreline management regulations, I'll have to moor a houseboat there instead...

I don't quite think it's going to end up that way.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We are putting our house up for sale after the holidays. It’s at 10’ above sl. Most of the homes we are looking at are at 9’. They are still selling, prices are still rising. But Being on the water means I can at least have a boat handy.

If the seas rise to much in the next few decades, I can just migrate to a more favorable area, just like people have done in the past when conditions warrant it.

didnt Obama just buy a beach house? Surly he has the latest info on climate change.
    it does seem odd at only 30 feet above sea level. Maybe they will build a wall that Mexico will pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    it does seem odd at only 30 feet above sea level. Maybe they will build a wall that Mexico will pay for.
    I have not seen anywhere that it is 30’ above sea level. It doesn’t look that high from the pics. And I’m sure at only 7000 sq ft the carbon foot print is about average. I’m sure they will settle down there and stop jet setting around the world to do there part to keep emissions down.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I have not seen anywhere that it is 30’ above sea level. It doesn’t look that high from the pics. And I’m sure at only 7000 sq ft the carbon foot print is about average. I’m sure they will settle down there and stop jet setting around the world to do there part to keep emissions down.
    one of the maps I saw said that, although that could have been a high point of the island. .

i think most politicians are quite disconnected from what they preach and what they do. The lawn is expansive and needs to be fertilized, cut, weedwacked and so on. When they are not there the heat/cooling is probably minimally on. So I do agree talking about lowering emissions and not wasting energy is kinda lost here.

I read an an article looking up al gore that defended the use by politicians of private planes etc. saying it was corporations. But neither party is unscathed. You can find numerous instances of both parties expressing outrage at how immoral or unethical one party is while their own conduct is immoral or unethical.

Thread Information