Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

December Frugals

DH brined and smoked our small turkey on Saturday. I roasted brussel sprouts and mashed some lovely yukon golds. We repeated that dinner Sunday and I cooked down the carcass for hours to a deep rich broth-the smoke gave it a nice flavor. I bought cranberry walnut wheat levain at the bakery 2m from home. LOVE that bread and don't want to attempt to duplicate it. (we'd been having it with breakfast eggs too). Monday we had turkey sandwiches and finished the potatoes with a new small pan of gravy. Tuesday we had turkey sandwiches with corn from the freezer. Wednesday I made turkey soup, added some aging carrots, fresh celery, country egg noodles from the pantry and the remainder of the turkey. DH chose soup for dinner again tonight.

It looks like 14 meals off this 11 pound bird! Yup, feeling a bit smug

DH bought stew meat months ago and never used it. I am on a mission to eat down existing food so got out my cookbook and made stew. I told my kids to come get some to take home. Having company tonight.

I am eating down our pantry, too, both recent stuff meaning 1 year old, and years old canned goods. When the canned good are gone
    I will have to invade the bottom of the freezer for decades old stuff but I may wait until next year for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    It looks like 14 meals off this 11 pound bird! Yup, feeling a bit smug
    VERY impressive!!! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Not coloring my hair will save me close to $1000.00 a year.

IL, I hope you are throwing away the stuff at the bottom of the freezer. Y: because I only do mine every 3 months it only costs me 340/year.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    years old canned goods. When the canned good are gone
    I thought you got DH down to two jars of food and that he was finishing up that project??
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Are you familiar with a program called Flash Food? Under this, food that is within 2 weeks to 2 days of Best Before date, is posted and available for 50% off. It could be cheese, bread, produce, meats etc. Using your phone, you click on it, order, prepay and come later to the store to pick it up. You have to verify with a phone receipt that the items are yours. I have had some fun using this phone app trying different foods that I normally would not buy - quiche, tourtierre, expensive cheese, boxes of mixed produce, etc. I now have a lovely variety in my freezer that I must use up.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Double post
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I thought you got DH down to two jars of food and that he was finishing up that project??
    Did I say 2? Well, there is more. Maybe there are 2 non-tomato jars, but there are a total of a dozen jars now. I just asked DH and that's his number which he swears is accurate.

We are eating the last can of pears now. The salsa (I counted as a tomatoe product) is kind of icky, so
    i may surreptitiously pitch a couple of those.

Thread Information