Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simplifying your thought burdens

When my friend was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer she had a 14 hour surgery and then told she had 6 months to live. She was 45. She said I want chemo and I have too much to live for to die. She lived 20 years. Her cancer came back 8 times. She was the most positive person I have ever known.

If he's lucky, that fifty-year-old man hasn't just been canned.
    +1 And of course there are studies on age discrimination in employment and women, it hits women earlier and it hits them worse. But that 50 year old man is by no means home free either. Most people over 50 if they still need to work and are still employed are like "thank you universe that I have a job", if they do.

If journaling about bothersome thoughts or whatever helps then great (I think most of this is much less proven than all that to really weight in on it conclusively or blame anyone for their thoughts. As this idea has been floated many times in various formulations and some of them disproved several times - like a cancer type of personality etc., but I don't know all the latest on it, since it keeps going back and forth). If symptoms go away great, if they don't, then one weights whether to have more tests or not. I mean pain is mysterious.
    Trees don't grow on money

Krista Tippet does a weekly spiritually based program on many NPR stations and also as free podcasts. A few weeks ago (9/!9) there was a program titled "The Drugs inside Your Head' with Erik Vance. He is a brain scientists and writer, and the program was mostly on the placebo effect. He goes into some studies on where it seems to work and where it doesn't. He has roots in Christian Science but now pretty much endorses some modern medicine. I listened to it twice. It should not be hard to find on her web site or a podcast menu for anyone who is interested. It's about an hour and is based on some studies rather than opinion.

I love Krista Tippet. My local NPR station used to play her show during church time on Sundays, but they have moved it, I believe,

IL, I’m pretty sure you can stream all of her recent programs free any time you would like. Her web site is onbeing.org.

Thread Information