Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance: "Shart Term" aka "Junk" Insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Health Insurance: "Shart Term" aka "Junk" Insurance

The open enrollment period for coverage under the Affordable Care Act has a few days more before December 15.

In opposition to coverage that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act. "Short Term" (up to 365 days) Insurance has a lower premium, but denies coverage for
    pre-existing conditions,
    pregnancy/maternity care,
    emergency room visits,
    prescription drugs,
    mental health treatment.

At the end of a one-year term it would be necessary to re-apply for the next term. So any health problems that arose during the first one-year term would then be a pre-existing condition (not covered in the new term policy).

There may exclusions and coverage limits in the written policy.

The marketing of Short Term Health Insurance plans has attracted criticism by Senator Tammy Baldwin and others. For instance, the government website Healthcare.gov contains links to third party on-line insurance brokers who sell the short term plans. Robocalls (telemarketing) pitches are coming thick and fast.
    Consumers, in some cases, may be confused about the coverage they are buying.

So?

Yes they are bad policies. Yes consumers may not navigate short term policies well.

If you think ACA policies are working to give people coverage though, you don't know all that is going on. It's not just that ACA policies are not very good (although ACA policies are mostly not very good), but it's that this system is not covering people.
    Trees don't grow on money

So, as Trudy Lieberman stated in her opinion piece, anyone buying a policy by shopping on-line had better watch out.

http://tarbell.org/2019/11/beware-of...hopping-online

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    So, as Trudy Lieberman stated in her opinion piece, anyone buying a policy by shopping on-line had better watch out.

ah, so buyer beware. Ok.

Caveat Emptor has long been a major component of contract law.

Edited to add: Iris Lilies beat me in stating the obvious.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Well.

Under my State's implementation of the ACA, I have no choice but to shop online, and, due to redlining of my county, there is only a single selection of vendor. Yay.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Where is the health insurance Trump promised would cover more people, be more comprehensivr and be cheaper?
    or ten years of republicans saying repeal and replace?

Over and over they blasted Obamacare (which was far from perfect) and promised they would fix it.

just wondering.

well, ya know Congress battled endlessly about various plans but couldnt agree on stuff.I do not blame that on Trump, and the fact that his campaign hyperbole came to naught is just politician stuff. He did lift the penalty for not having insurance and that makes my constitution loving soul happy, even though it is all part of the ACA cluster-fk.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well, ya know Congress battled endlessly about various plans but couldnt agree on stuff.I do not blame that on Trump, and the fact that his campaign hyperbole came to naught is just politician stuff. He did lift the penalty for not having insurance and that makes my constitution loving soul happy, even though it is all part of the ACA cluster-fk.
    if any republican had a decent plan it would have passed those first two years. The only plan was to destroy anything the evil Kenyan Muslim did and keep their money to themselves.

There never was and their never will be a Republican plan. Our politicians don’t care about the American people. They care about re-election and positioning them and their cronies to get richer.

Thread Information