Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance: "Shart Term" aka "Junk" Insurance

Jp, I think it would be a improvement.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well, ya know Congress battled endlessly about various plans but couldnt agree on stuff.I do not blame that on Trump, and the fact that his campaign hyperbole came to naught is just politician stuff. He did lift the penalty for not having insurance and that makes my constitution loving soul happy, even though it is all part of the ACA cluster-fk.
    if any republican had a decent plan it would have passed those first two years. The only plan was to destroy anything the evil Kenyan Muslim did and keep their money to themselves.

There never was and their never will be a Republican plan. Our politicians don’t care about the American people. They care about re-election and positioning them and their cronies to get richer.

Yppej
    If Kasich ran I think he would care and come up with a plan. He supported Medicaid expansion as governor.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

.. .
    There never was and their never will be a Republican plan. Our politicians don’t care about the American people. They care about re-election and positioning them and their cronies to get richer.
    There’s any number of plans at any time. The one below is one. Progressives keep reminding us that the ACA was based on a Republican plan.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/a-group-republicans-have-a-new-healthcare-plan-here-what-new-and-what-isn-t

There is no “plan “ that will go forward without spending more money. There are no new ideas, the tenets are all the same, and it is all about spending more taxpayer money.

I would like to know why Americans who did not embrace the ACA do not have health insurance. President Obama promised everyone that they could afford it due to subsidies. Is that not true?

The percentage of uninsured Americans is 8% to 9%. That seems remarkably low to me. I mean it’s less than 10% of our population. What a lot of hoopla we are making about this population. My guess is is that of that 8% to 9%, a few percentage points could in fact afford it under subsidized ACA if they would cut their cable tv, eat beans and rice more often, stop shopping at Amazon, take one less vacation a year, etc.

Then there is another a few percentage whose lives are so chaotic due to Substance abuse and mental illness and family violence and low IQ and a myriad of factors that they are unable to participate in a stable way in societal programs. For them, “Medicare for all “literally means they would still have to pay premiums and choose plans and enroll in specified times and etc. and they cannot do that.

I tire of hearing how the next big thing will fix everything. All we heard about was how great the ACA was and how that will solve the problem, well guess what y’all are still complaining about the problem of healthcare not being solved.

And “the Kenyen Muslim “? Really?

Yppej
    There are plans that will cost less money, but the costs will be shifted from employers and employees to the government. We spend double what similar countries do. There are great savings to be had.

Americans do not have coverage post-ACA because the subsidies are insufficient in some cases and some are philosophically opposed to the mandate. Some are cheap and would rather wait until they are sick since you can no longer be turned down for pre-existing conditions.

More than 10% of the population is affected. The current system is burdensome for those with insurance due to skyrocketing out of pocket costs. Some pharmaceutical companies in particular are price gouging.

To help those unable to navigate the system you would need improved Medicare for all eliminating all the parts A, B, D, F and whatever other letters of the alphabet are used. My parents struggle with this even though the organization my father retired from provides them with a professional ombudsperson to help them navigate through it.

People face joblock and marriagelock to stay insured at a price they can afford. Companies are less competitive with employers in other countries. Joblock limits entrepreneurship.

Health care is a mess in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

And “the Kenyen Muslim “? Really?
    I know. I shook my head at that too.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I would like to know why Americans who did not embrace the ACA do not have health insurance. President Obama promised everyone that they could afford it due to subsidies. Is that not true?

The percentage of uninsured Americans is 8% to 9%. That seems remarkably low to me. I mean it’s less than 10% of our population. What a lot of hoopla we are making about this population. My guess is is that of that 8% to 9%, a few percentage points could in fact afford it under subsidized ACA if they would cut their cable tv, eat beans and rice more often, stop shopping at Amazon, take one less vacation a year, etc.
    no. the subsidies do not work with an unpredictable income, if you can't predict your income they are little use because your income could either exceed or be too low to get them. I didn't collect a single ACA subsidy when I was unemployed. Well why not? I could not predict my yearly income as work was unpredictable and thus I could not predict my level of subsidy under a silver plan. But if I went off ACA with an ACA-EQUIVALENT plan it was $100 less a month right off the bat (and again this was an ACA equivalent plan not one of the "junk plans" being discussed). A bird in the hand, so I took it. So how much was $100 less a month, well it was still over $400 a month. How many beans and rice and Amazon shopping do people really think add up to > $400. A coworker I had also doing contract work, said sadly they had to do without coverage for awhile between contracts. What does anyone really expect it's called being between work, the ACA is useless for such things, completely useless. I didn't collect a single subsidy when I was doing contract work either and again paying for healthcare entirely out of pocket. Well why not? Because I couldn't predict my income, noone could even tell me when the contract would end, and figured my yearly income might be too high (it the contract continued etc.). Turns out it was. To make optimum decisions around subsidies one needs a crystal ball, the problem is noone has one.

If I'm unemployed again, oh inevitably at some point I'm going to go without health insurance, if it's > $400 a month in one's early 40s, no it's not going to be affordable in one's 50s or something, not a chance.

Then there is another a few percentage whose lives are so chaotic due to Substance abuse and mental illness and family violence and low IQ and a myriad of factors that they are unable to participate in a stable way in societal programs. For them, “Medicare for all “literally means they would still have to pay premiums and choose plans and enroll in specified times and etc. and they cannot do that.
    There isn't any of this under improved Medicare for all, no premiums etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Doctors are being micromanaged by the insurance company. I am on Advair for my asthma. My copay is 32/month. So I go to pick it up and my copay is 318. So I asked if there is generic. Yes but doctor has to request it. Well it’s been 2 weeks, my doctor has requested it twice, the insurance wants my doctor to justify why I need the generic which should be cheaper. Meanwhile now instead of my maintainability medication I rely on my rescue inhaler.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Obamacare, as it is incorrectly known is deeply flawed. I doubt many would dispute that. The majority of Americans would indeed jump for joy if the flaws were corrected. Any one below the age of 65 at any time could lose their health insurance and face enormous costs under our current system. And lose everything they worked their whole life for.

And yes, many still believe Obama was not born in the US and is a Muslim. The Kenyan theory was widely promoted By the chosen one.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/01/ei...rolling-obama/

Crazy articles like this exist on the internet, on people’s blogs, on opinions of news articles on fox today.

https://www.rollcall.com/politics/po...k-obama-muslim

shake your head all you want, but instilling fear that white people will be the minority, there is a deep state controlling everyone, democrats are going to take all your money and give it to others and are eager to take your guns away profoundly affect people.

I don’t see the environment improving, gun violence subsiding or health improving under our current administration and I am I never was a never Trumper.

Yppej
    White people will be a minority someday, but it's nothing to be afraid of.

Thread Information