Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: December purge

More books out, of course. Actually sold a few this month, much to my surprise!

A batch of clothes are ready to be donated to the dump’s swap shop/Salvation Army. Found a hanging jewelry thing in the bedroom, it’s slated to go away, and the jewelry stored on it has been culled down too. Two fancy wire baskets and other things are slated to go to the antique store tomorrow. Two pairs of slippers have gone away.

In the local paper, one of the local college’s career department is setting up a wardrobe section where the kids can get interview clothes. DH has agreed this will be a great way to cull his closet, we just have to get it done.

if we’re going to live downstairs, and that’s the next goal, we need less furniture. I have an appt. with a consignment shop 12/28.

so now that things are starting to get back to normal here, much that was planned for the past 2 months is getting underway!

Donation pickup out on the porch right now. 20 scarves, 5 pieces of clothing, 5 reusable bags, LOTS of miscellaneous tools,etc., a lunch bag and a plastic canteen. Probably more little stuff as well. The donation corner is empty once again!! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Used the local FB giving page to gift the following:
    10 burlap drawstring bags - these are cute bags that my amaryllis bulbs come in. Great gift bags for wine, etc. but I had more than I could use. The recipient said she and her friend were going to do some crafting to decorate and use them as gift bags.
    A bunch of holiday gift bags - the recipient said she was so excited because she never gets picked as a recipient, so that made me happy. I used a random name picker tool I found online.
    Made people happy and got stuff out of my cellar - win/win!

I always give to the first person that contacted me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I always give to the first person that contacted me.
    Admin on this site has asked that we at least consider doing otherwise, because some people might not see right away due to work schedule, etc.

That makes sense but I am all for what works best for me)

Just a sidebar here: are you guys feeling the difference? I've been decluttering for a long time and at some point I decided to take it further, cataloging and boxing up anything I wasn't using in the moment but didn't feel was time to part with, to the point of minimalism. For a while I felt like I wasn't really seeing an improvement, somehow I still felt cluttered and confused, but this week I packed for a trip and for the first time, it was So Easy. I packed up 90% of what is "out" and being used, which fit on my person plus a carry on plus a small backpack, and that was it! I basically didn't have to make a single decision, I was ready to go in 20 minutes, even my electronics and paperwork, and I could move easily through the airport with my life's Stuff more less in my arms.

Having been at my destination for about a week, I find I didn't forget so much as a hairclip, and I'm actually using everything I brought (as opposed to the usual thing of stuffing the suitcase and then wondering what I thought I was going to do with a tee shirt, an oversized sweatshirt and seven pairs of capris in December.) Wishing you all some holiday clear!

Sounds very efficient, Kib. Nice to hear from you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Sounds very efficient, Kib. Nice to hear from you.
    Thank you. I'm delighted to see some of the familiar faces. It's been a pretty messy time for me, it's so nice to be welcomed home for a new decade.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Just a sidebar here: are you guys feeling the difference? I've been decluttering for a long time and at some point I decided to take it further, cataloging and boxing up anything I wasn't using in the moment but didn't feel was time to part with, to the point of minimalism. For a while I felt like I wasn't really seeing an improvement, somehow I still felt cluttered and confused, but this week I packed for a trip and for the first time, it was So Easy. I packed up 90% of what is "out" and being used, which fit on my person plus a carry on plus a small backpack, and that was it! I basically didn't have to make a single decision, I was ready to go in 20 minutes, even my electronics and paperwork, and I could move easily through the airport with my life's Stuff more less in my arms.

Having been at my destination for about a week, I find I didn't forget so much as a hairclip, and I'm actually using everything I brought (as opposed to the usual thing of stuffing the suitcase and then wondering what I thought I was going to do with a tee shirt, an oversized sweatshirt and seven pairs of capris in December.) Wishing you all some holiday clear!
    Hi, kib! Nice to see you!

Not sure if you've been lurking, but I downsized last spring--drastically--in order to transition to my full-time 700 sq. ft. house in Vermont. Boy, HAVING to purge (as opposed to voluntarily taking on purging as a project) is tough but effective!

Now that we ONLY have what we need and truly love, I do find just what you are saying. It's easy to find things and make decisions. A decluttered environment definitely makes for a decluttered mind. I was just tidying up this morning and see a few things I can now recycle back to the local thrift store, so that I can try to prevent "clutter-creep."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information