Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: December purge

You people are cheap.

our cats got, back in that day when we had cats who actually moved, an assortment of boxes.

haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I reuse the gift bags.
    I am a bit of a wrapping hoarder. I have a drawer in my old secretary/desk dedicated to wrappings I rescue: gift bags are definitely in the mix, and woe to the person who throws real ribbon (i.e. grosgrain or satin) in the trash! I love ribbon! I also keep old Christmas cards from the year before, cut them up and use them as gift tags.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I visited a sister in her brand new much smaller retirement home. In the corner of the living room was a dirty old wooden tomato crate. They moved it halfway across the country because the cat liked to sit in it. In fact he was sitting in it facing the wall with his ears back most of the time when we were there. I don’t think he likes strangers in his kingdom.

One of my friends has asked another close friend and I to help her in the new year. Her husband died and she is going to sell/donate much of the old family silver, odd coins, huge china set, clothing and so on. No one wants it in the family. She has physical limitations so can’t bend, lift but wants to clean out so she can go to an apartment close by. Any suggestions on what to do with old coins, China and silver?

I’m reading “second hand: travels in the global garage sale”. Old china has almost no resale value. Same for almost everything in our homes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You people are cheap.

our cats got, back in that day when we had cats who actually moved, an assortment of boxes.

haha.
    Self-preservation - I tend to trip over the boxes; at least I can step on the bags without throwing myself off balance. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I visited a sister in her brand new much smaller retirement home. In the corner of the living room was a dirty old wooden tomato crate. They moved it halfway across the country because the cat liked to sit in it. In fact he was sitting in it facing the wall with his ears back most of the time when we were there. I don’t think he likes strangers in his kingdom.

One of my friends has asked another close friend and I to help her in the new year. Her husband died and she is going to sell/donate much of the old family silver, odd coins, huge china set, clothing and so on. No one wants it in the family. She has physical limitations so can’t bend, lift but wants to clean out so she can go to an apartment close by. Any suggestions on what to do with old coins, China and silver?
    I cashed in some coins a couple of years ago. I looked online for local coin dealers and then read reviews to see who seemed best. I think IL can weigh in on the silver and china. My sister has a nice set of china she doesn't want, and it looks like we could make a little bit of money on eBay (I'm sure a lot less than was paid for it, but something). I guess it depends on the china.

Sell the coins and silver to a coin dealer. Sell the china to an antique dealer, as it will be an ongoing pain to try to box and sell it, if yo udo find a buyer. If you can't then donate it to a charity that means something to her.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

Send sterling silver to Replacements or Silverqueen. Snap a clear photo of the pattern and send query to their buying department. They will respond with their offer. For the coins, any reasonably big city will have coin buyers. They may only pay face value and likely will do that.

There are buyers for both. Don’t put them in the same category as a set of china which is likely worthless. You can always query Replacements, however, to see if they are buying that pattern, but by the time you ship it you wont get much money u less it is something in high demand.

I assume the silver is sterling. Silverplate is worthless.

This is funny/sad:

I have 6 of these stemmed water goblets sitting high in my kitchen cupboard. They really are WTF.
    I do not plan to offload them before we move, but I will have to be so freeking’ careful about packing them to move that isnt’s funny.They are soooooo beautiful! I really do appreciate the exquisite artistry of the makers. But man, they are kind of a beast to own.

how does someone middle class acquire crap like this, you might ask? Well, my mother had a few delusions of grandeur and would buy them for me back decades ago. They retail foe $585. Each.

https://www.finebrandsales.com/detai...RoCguIQAvD_BwE

Wow they are beautiful!

Thread Information