Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December purge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

December purge

Holiday decor edition of The Purge

I reported earlier about nearly all of our greenery being appropriately distributed.
    i kept one tree, decorated it, and will find a home for it next year. Same thing with one wreath.

Next stage of decluttering holiday decorations: lights and ornaments.

I have completed appropriate disposition of nearly 6 ft.³ of these things. I threw in the dumpster boxes of ornaments I have pulled out of dumpsters over the years, along with strings of lights (probably 20 ) that are out of their packages. Some work 100% but I didnt test them all.I used about 8 sets of lights on the tree I decorated. Also tossed misc thingies that only I would find useful for decor.

I put all remaining hot pink ornaments in a bag, photographed it, photographed our tree decorated with extras, and advertised them FREE on Nextdoor. Someone will come to pick them up in an hour.

I found vintage Tikki patio lights that I think may sell at our Park’s fundraiser booth next June, so
    i will store them until then.

i am winnowing down ornaments to those i truly love and will move to Hermann. That is two groups, a 14” box of misc great things, and a box of various kinds of hand blown clear ornaments that look like bubble and icicles. My goal is to get them all to fit in one plastic bin, dont know if I can accomplish that.

I will admit to having an uncomfortable “in-between” stash still on my living room floor. Can I use these for floral design? Maybe. Should I keep yet one more plastic bin for a total of two Xmas bins? Perhaps.

TLDR: I am making progress in jettisoning Xmas decor, big progress.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I will admit to having an uncomfortable “in-between” stash still on my living room floor. Can I use these for floral design? Maybe. Should I keep yet one more plastic bin for a total of two Xmas bins? Perhaps.

Give yourself a Christmas present and get rid of these things now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Give yourself a Christmas present and get rid of these things now!
    sigh. You are probably right. I may not comply though ha ha

sigh. You are probably right. I may not comply though ha ha
    We got rid of ALL our lights--we sold them to a neighbor who does her house up big--inside and out--so the more lights the merrier for her.

I managed to save some of my favorite Christmas decorations, and I definitely kept all the "keepsake" ornaments we bought for milestone occasions ("Baby's first Christmas", "Our First Christmas Together") and souvenirs from places we've been and ornaments gifted to us by friends. But I won't use them this year . Meanwhile my DD just decorated her tree and she doesn't have ENOUGH decorations, so maybe I have to start "sharing" mine.

It's very tough to do. I still don't know what kind of a weird Christmas we're going to have. DH and I might join the non-Christmas-celebrators who go to Broadway plays on Christmas Day. It seems very bizarre to me, in almost a Twilight Zone way, that after 41 years of doing Christmas in a big way, we are going to be alone.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We got rid of ALL our lights--we sold them to a neighbor who does her house up big--inside and out--so the more lights the merrier for her.

I managed to save some of my favorite Christmas decorations, and I definitely kept all the "keepsake" ornaments we bought for milestone occasions ("Baby's first Christmas", "Our First Christmas Together") and souvenirs from places we've been and ornaments gifted to us by friends. But I won't use them this year . Meanwhile my DD just decorated her tree and she doesn't have ENOUGH decorations, so maybe I have to start "sharing" mine.

It's very tough to do. I still don't know what kind of a weird Christmas we're going to have. DH and I might join the non-Christmas-celebrators who go to Broadway plays on Christmas Day. It seems very bizarre to me, in almost a Twilight Zone way, that after 41 years of doing Christmas in a big way, we are going to be alone.
    First, kudos on the lights. I am down to a couple of strings of blue for the outdoors, on our fence, which I need to get up today, and a couple of whites for the tree, and a couple of antique multi-color strings that I picked up for the cool boxes but that do work--too cool to discard, so I admire that you got rid of all of them.

I have two rubbermaid boxes total, including the lights. I so wanted to get down to one box, but two is better than four, and maybe I will work gradually to one.

Question--why cant you put up a little tree at the rental and put out your ornaments? IKEA used to recycle the trees--you bought the tree there and they gave you a coupon when yo urecycled it, so the tree was essentially free. Maybe they still do that.

Can you do something Christmassy with the NJ kid, AND go to a Broadway play on the day itself?

Or go to church on Christmas Day--that is lovely and peaceful and not many people, so it is kind of special--a simple Christmas mass.

I reported earlier about nearly all of our greenery being appropriately distributed.
    i kept one tree, decorated it, and will find a home for it next year. Same thing with one wreath.

Next stage of decluttering holiday decorations: lights and ornaments.

I have completed appropriate disposition of nearly 6 ft.³ of these things. I threw in the dumpster boxes of ornaments I have pulled out of dumpsters over the years, along with strings of lights (probably 20 ) that are out of their packages. Some work 100% but I didnt test them all.I used about 8 sets of lights on the tree I decorated. Also tossed misc thingies that only I would find useful for decor.

I put all remaining hot pink ornaments in a bag, photographed it, photographed our tree decorated with extras, and advertised them FREE on Nextdoor. Someone will come to pick them up in an hour.

I found vintage Tikki patio lights that I think may sell at our Park’s fundraiser booth next June, so
    i will store them until then.

i am winnowing down ornaments to those i truly love and will move to Hermann. That is two groups, a 14” box of misc great things, and a box of various kinds of hand blown clear ornaments that look like bubble and icicles. My goal is to get them all to fit in one plastic bin, dont know if I can accomplish that.

All I can say is... WOW! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    A fleece jacket that repilled the first time I wore it after using a razor to remove the pills. That method didn't work for me.

A million decisions-- yesterday we were out in the shed and I said, Let's get rid of the walker (acquired when husband shattered his pelvis), take it to goodwill. Then thought, he is looking at hip replacement surgery, so why get rid of walker now? Then thoght, I can get a new one for 10 dollars at the Goodwill in the future if he needs one. Then thought, why risk it?

So where would you declutters come down on the walker. Unfortunately, this ambivalence is multiplied by the number of things I own, it seems, which scares me--is this how frugal millionaires are born, or hoarders?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    A million decisions-- yesterday we were out in the shed and I said, Let's get rid of the walker (acquired when husband shattered his pelvis), take it to goodwill. Then thought, he is looking at hip replacement surgery, so why get rid of walker now? Then thoght, I can get a new one for 10 dollars at the Goodwill in the future if he needs one. Then thought, why risk it?

So where would you declutters come down on the walker. Unfortunately, this ambivalence is multiplied by the number of things I own, it seems, which scares me--is this how frugal millionaires are born, or hoarders?
    Personally, I fall on the side of - if you KNOW you will use it in the near future, keep it! Otherwise, bye-bye. It's not like you won't be able to get another, should the need arise.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We kept the walker and crutches and even a Rollator fancy walker. Gave the walker to Mom when she started to need one and then followed with the fancy walker. No additional money out of pocket. The crutches are in the ceiling storage in the garage and will be useful maybe but they are not taking any useful space. It is true that you can usually find a thrift store walker. Loads for sale on Facebook marketplace also and not something you would need to worry about working.

Thread Information