Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: December purge

Hey Kib! I am not a minimalist and don't even really aspire to that, but I do like a well ordered environment. Although I am hard-wired to keep things pretty organized, I find that too much stuff in too little space does not feel well ordered. I need a little bit of "white space" around the stuff, if you know what I mean. I would say that in the last year or so, I've finally achieved that with our closet. It is still pretty full, but not jam-packed and it is much easier to find things. We were also able to store a couple of fans and air conditioners in there, which would never have been possible in previous years. For me, the key to success with clothes has been to challenge myself to make sure more goes out than comes in. I keep a spreadsheet because I am real fun like that, lol.
    I still cannot get over the fact that in the past week I've had 3 people come to my door to take away stuff I wanted to get rid of and they were very grateful to me! What could be better than that in the wonderful world of decluttering?

kib, congrats! I firmly believe that when I have "less", things like packing and travel (and other things!) get easier. I've been decluttering for years and I sort of see a difference, but still have so much, that I know there is more to do. I DO strive to be a minimalist, unfortunately, I do not live alone at the moment and the desire is not necessarily shared by those I Live with.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm definitely not a minimalist, but I decided to try experimenting with packing up all the "maybes". So I have a lot of white space, but i also still have a bunch of things that I actually do break into and "shop out of" on occasion. Maybe some day I'll really let go. I thought that I would maybe not want to part with anything I left out, but in fact it's become easier to decide as the selections diminish. I have four sweaters, which should I choose? This one makes me look pregnant. When I was 25 pounds overweight I looked fat and pregnant, when I was 10 pounds underweight I looked ill - and still pregnant. This is just never going to be the sweater for me no matter how good it looks on the hanger, and no matter how many or how few other sweaters I have. Bye bye already!

Catherine, that's great. I haven't been lurking - yet. Just can't keep my mouth shut when I come here. Lol. Many congrats on working through your stuff and winding up 'tiny'!

Happystuff, I don't live with a minimalist either. I really, really don't. And I know, being a minimalist Household would be easier than doing it alone. What I've mostly done is to isolate small areas that "belong" to me - a bit of shelf space, one closet. THOSE areas are where I focus my efforts, and I can feel in control and pleased with my efforts when I do that. Maybe someday I'll re-address Other Clutter, but that's a whole different issue.

kib, yes, definitely working on those areas that I "can" declutter. I know it is a continuous work-in-progress.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have been decluttering for years and am pretty happy at where my spaces are. My husband’s office, garage and shed are another matter.

I spent the afternoon with Mom and we purged 4 trash bags full of shirts that didn't fit or were unflattering. We have now been through all of her shirts and have reduced by more than 50%. I think this will make it easier for her to manage her wardrobe, and it will certainly make it easier for me when she needs my help in choosing what to wear.

Rosa, that’s great news!

From my wardrobe: 3 prs socks, 1 camisole, 2 shirts and a jacket. My shirt count is now down to 111. I should see if I can let go of one more and get it down to an even 110.

Thread Information