Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Electric Kettle

I’ve been using an electric kettle for more than 20 years. Former Canadian coworker introduced me.

Just out of curiosity, wanting to see if my induction cooktop is more fuel efficient as has been claimed, I measured 1.5 L of water into my stovetop kettle. It came to a vigorous boil in 4 min, 22 sec using the highest setting.

I have never had a chance to make a comparison before so found the result interesting.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Question for you electric kettle users:

Do you get a deposit of scale (white or gray mineral)? The bottom of my electric kettle is mottled with scale, and I consider it harmless. If scale built up around the flip-up lid, I suppose the lid might stick... then that scale could be rubbed off.

We have very hard water and use hot vinegar to dissolve the scale build up on thing like pots and shower heads. Works really well and super cheap. We run vinegar thru the Bunn coffee maker once every couple of months. It makes a great difference.

I use the microwave but I am not a fan of lots of gadgets.
    +1 (only I don't have microwave actually).

I have a um non-electric kettle. Water boils pretty fast if you only make about enough as I try to remember (saving gas here). But sometimes I'm lazy and just put however much water in, and it takes a little longer.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Question for you electric kettle users:

Do you get a deposit of scale (white or gray mineral)? The bottom of my electric kettle is mottled with scale, and I consider it harmless. If scale built up around the flip-up lid, I suppose the lid might stick... then that scale could be rubbed off.
    When I see a significant build-up, I pour white vinegar and some water into the kettle and turn it on. I do this a couple times and then run it again with just water (to get rid of the vinegar taste). It cleans my kettle right up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Like most people in the UK I can’t imagine NOT using an electric kettle, but as bae said, ours boil more quickly.

I swear by a British company, Dualit. I have their matching, retro style kettle, toaster and coffee machine
    https://www.dualit.com/products/lite...s/canvas-white

I just don't spend that much time with tea. If it were up to me, my cooking paraphernalia would consist of a pot, a dutch oven, a strainer and a wooden spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I just don't spend that much time with tea. If it were up to me, my cooking paraphernalia would consist of a pot, a dutch oven, a strainer and a wooden spoon.
    I can totally appreciate the minimalism in the kitchen. We use our electric kettle for tea, coffee, soups, even heating water to melt chocolate for baking. It's definitely a staple. On the other hand, our microwave went bust 4 days ago. Haven't replaced it yet.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’m resurrecting this old thread because I’m considering buying an electric kettle. It’ll be a while before I buy it, but I need something for our beverage center that will make coffee. We drink instant coffee in the morning. I suppose I could get a tiny microwave but since there’s there’s only 20 inches of space, I’m not sure that a tiny microwave would work any better than a kettle. Also if I get a kettle I could still fit a coffee maker on that same shelf for the times when we do want brewed coffee.

I dug up this thread because I had thought it made clear that the electric kettle of the UK boils very quickly. Four minutes that someone mentions up thread is twice as long as my microwave oven takes to warm hot water a cup of hot water
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-21 at 9:03am.

Thread Information