Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Customer tried to avoid addt値 China duties - caught by Customs :D

Yes, VERY satisfying. I had history with this customer. I’d been handling their shipments since 2006 when I started with the company and customs clearances since 2012. Customer was always trying to reduce his duties in small ways when new products were released, but I always checked with the corporate customs gurus and my instinct to say no was always correct.

I’d love to say, I told you so! to customer, but can’t do that. I always laugh my butt off when we’re done with a phone call with them.

Interesting development today.

CBP contacted me looking for paperwork on another clearance we did for this customer. I advised the customer right after I sent the paperwork to CBP. Customer is demanding to have my head. He is again insisting we tell him BEFORE we send paperwork to CBP if we receive other requests. We have to call him and if we can’t reach him, he doesn’t want us to respond to CBP until we can talk to him. I asked him what if he was on vacation, etc. Still the same.

Customer is being petty. They got themselves in trouble and now they are trying to take me down with them. CBP
    Told their lawyer they are facing a large fine, but there has been nothing in writing. The company may not make it. They have several shipments in the pipeline, but behind those, they are waiting to see how big the fine is before they order anything else more from overseas.

They are demanding a meeting with my boss and head of US division (based in my city) next week. I am told they are demanding I be fired. Things have been contentious with my boss lately over other things and if she fires me over this, so be it.

Yppej
    If they fire you it will be very easy for you to collect unemployment insurance at a minimum, and possibly also win a wrongful discharge lawsuit.

Yes, keep the paperwork as I know you will.

You are totally in the right and if you get fired your boss is a moron.

I am curious to know what your manager says about “Notify customer before sending requested paperwork to CBP. “

Certainly the principle is right that your relationship and your communications with CBP are separate and necessary from your communications with your customer. But it seems to me you could call the customer and say “hey customer I’m sending paperwork to CBP today just so you know.” And then not listen to any complaints or requests to hold off on sending the requested documents that same day.

I guess I am distinguishing here difference between notification timing and action according to request of CBP.

This smacks to me as if they are trying to send "their copy" aka forged paperwork and want to make sure they send matching paperwork of whatever she has been requested to send.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    This smacks to me as if they are trying to send "their copy" aka forged paperwork and want to make sure they send matching paperwork of whatever she has been requested to send.
    Ooh, maybe so--that's brilliant deduction.

Actually CBP comes to the broker for the paperwork, not the importer.

Iris, my boss is now siding with the customer that I should let the customer know before I send paperwork to CBP. I don’t know what’s changed her mind from before. I think all she sees are dollar signs. The customer insists we forward our email sending the paperwork to CBP, rather than just telling them XYZ paperwork was requested and sent.

I’m being told “they’re still a customer” and my response is “they knowingly committed fraud and I’m supposed to bend over backwards for them?” Answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Actually CBP comes to the broker for the paperwork, not the importer.

Iris, my boss is now siding with the customer that I should let the customer know before I send paperwork to CBP. I don’t know what’s changed her mind from before. I think all she sees are dollar signs. The customer insists we forward our email sending the paperwork to CBP, rather than just telling them XYZ paperwork was requested and sent.

I’m being told “they’re still a customer” and my response is “they knowingly committed fraud and I’m supposed to bend over backwards for them?” Answer is yes.
    I think you gotta go with your instincts on this one, and do what you think is right, and protect your license.

Thread Information