Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Spend On Groceries?

How Much Do You Spend On Groceries?

My good friend said she is surprised how little we spend on groceries per month for 2 people. We shop at Winco and spend between 300-400/month. This includes all paper products, cleaning supplies and wine. We buy our dog food somewhere else. We eat meat every day and have frequent company. So I thought this is the perfect place to ask my frugal friends.

Sad to say, I have no idea. Which probably means we are spending crap tons at the grocery store.

I know that I no longer rein myself in terribly much, just sometimes.

I try to do the lower end of between $50-$75/week for three people - four when we get "raided" by college child. LOL. If there are some stock up sales, I will spend more, but that usually means less spent in coming weeks. After the holidays, I'm hoping to get it back to the low end.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

SEE Finance says we spend about $600 a month for the two of us. That includes paper products, food we serve at parties, and items we bring to potlucks (about 3-4 of them a month). It does not include most cleaning supplies or liquor. Eating out averages another $100 a month.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Wow Happy you are definitely frugal with food. That’s a lot of potlucks Steve. One thing that helped us is we do a big shop monthly and then buy milk, fruit, etc as needed so not a lot of temptation by being in the grocery store much.

We probably spend $500 - $550, but this includes cat food, treats, & litter; wine, paper goods, cleaning products and some health & beauty items like eye drops, cold meds, etc. Market Basket has decent prices on most things, so we buy a lot of miscellaneous things there when we can.

$700/year for organic veggies, $200/month for incidentals: cat food, soap, etc. About $600 a year more for organic meat. The veggies are from a CSA with a Pick Your Own option and I make up partial casseroles, etc. in the summer we eat in the winter, like now. I have one more container of chicken thighs (3) currently thawing in the fridge for tomorrow. Tonight's dinner, the remains of the soup we had for lunch (chickpea/squash stew) and cheese sandwiches. I'll buy about 10 lbs of chicken in the next week or two, at about $2.50/lb, it will last us 2 months. If I go to the "local" greenmarket it costs $9/lb, so I try to avoid that! We try to eat 2 meat meals a week: a double veg meal 2 days, eggs 1 day, sandwich 1 day, and whatever is leftover 1 day.

I budget $500 for "basic" food, and $100 for "splurge" food, which would be something like picking up a pre-made sandwich at the convenience store.Since we've moved to Vermont, our "basic" food has exceeded $500 a month--in order to get really good food deals we have to drive off the island and when I'm busy my meal planning gets shot to hell and I wind up in the local "supermarket" which is reasonable, but not as cheap as bigger supermarkets/Costco. But OTOH, we rarely spend our "splurge food" allotment, so I guess I would say $600 for two of us (and more if we go off the rails) which we could definitely shrink with better planning.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We spend about $60/week/ less than $280/month for groceries for 3 (1 a teenager). We eat nearly every meal at home or homemade all month. Like happystuff, I stock up when sales are good, and some weeks I can get by with just $15 worth of fresh produce. We eat mostly vegetarian meals but I do cook meat for DH's lunches.

Yppej
    Lately it has been creeping up as high as $100 a week but this has included non-food items sold at my supermarket like gift cards for Christmas presents and postage stamps. It also includes stocking up on sale items.

Thread Information