Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Spend On Groceries?

So far this year we're averaging $550/month. This includes alcohol. Organic produce and meats, wild caught fish, our CSA share, all gardening expenses (since I grow food to preserve I put those expenses here).

I've got 19 jars of blackberry jam, 9 jars of tomato paste, 40 pints of salsa and 12 pints of tomato sauce put up.
    60 quarts of ratatouille and about 12 packages of greens. in the freezer.

I'm happy with this considering what I buy.

$400-ish a month for groceries.

We spend too much, so this month we are budgeting and shooting for 300 groceries and 100 eating out. The groceries includes household items and dog food, though.

I would hesitate to guess, but maybe $300? When I make my monthly (or so) trip to Grocery Outlet, my bill has been around $200 (which would be closer to $300 anywhere else), Then another $100 at Amazon and elsewhere. Much of that is laying in supplies. I'll economize elsewhere, if necessary.

I am tracking all grocery expenses this year broken down into food, non-food, alcohol, coffee (just curious) and pets. I haven't yet taken the time to tally though so it will be interesting. Too much I fear...but probably around $500 for all.

A lot although I do combine household products with food.

I'm really more concerned if food gets wasted than what it costs (I'll economize elsewhere as well). My diet is majority organic, so there is a limit to how cheap it's ever going to be, and I like a few specialty items as well. I'll tell you what adds to the bill: cheese. Hahaha. When I gave up dairy for awhile it was noticeable. Alcohol though no, that's nothing, don't drink all that much and don't need expensive alcohol.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yea, that includes some household supplies, and no booze. I'm trying to limit perishable items destined to perish, but it may be a losing cause. Exotic ingredients are my downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yea, that includes some household supplies, and no booze. I'm trying to limit perishable items destined to perish, but it may be a losing cause. Exotic ingredients are my downfall.
    It's a trade-off. There would be less waste and it would be more frugal to always stick with the tried and true, but discovering new foods can be one of life's great pleasures, and then you have to risk trying some things that you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It's a trade-off. There would be less waste and it would be more frugal to always stick with the tried and true, but discovering new foods can be one of life's great pleasures, and then you have to risk trying some things that you don't like.
    I laughed at myself when an order of Knorr chicken bullion base arrived at my door. Very reasonable for eight pounds and "shelf stable," it will likely wind up in my will..

I'd ball park $75 a week or a little more cooking for one. I used to be more conscious of grocery costs when I was saving for early retirement but any more it really isn't part of my frugality. I don't buy meat, but it's offset by some of what I'd consider higher priced what might be called health foods. Sometimes organic, fresh produce or occasional specialty items. I get a slightly expensive total meal replacement powdered protein drink mix and have it most breakfasts. I don't splurge on gourmet or exotic things and it just is what it is. There are better places to save money for me.

Thread Information