Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pensacola shooter gun question

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    No snark and no offense meant here, OK? Truly we don't live in the same America, either. In my America, smartphone video pretty much disproves what you've posted here on a regular if not daily basis. At this point, with all the intense division in this country, I honestly believe I couldn't live for very long in your America. Putting it civilly, to me it's a very strange place. Rob
    Isn’t every form of bigotry just a matter of believing your own false impressions? Any bigot will tell you he’s got the evidence to back up his claims, when he’s really just curating his personal collection of anecdotes. You’ve been living in my America your whole life, as I have been living in yours. But it’s a Bring Your Own Bias party, and we all contribute different dishes.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    to the bolded, I don’t see why influencers who send money to the politicians are any less American than those who do not.

I guess I don’t have any real problem with non-violent felons getting their voting rights back. I haven’t read up on the issue so I don’t know what the real problems are with that. As a long term punishment for being Convicted of a felony, I doubt it has much weight. Besides, in my corrupt Democratically controlled city I am sure the I am sure the felon could find a way to vote if he wish to do so, and often. .
    I have a problem with influencers who are in it to simply make more money and don’t care how and who it affects.

for instance drug pricing.
    aspirin lobby gives big money to candidates of the headache party. They then raise the price from a penny a tablet to ten dollars a tablet. Heart patients say wait a minute, I take one every day on the advice from my MD. 30 cents to $300 per month will make it unaffordable. The headache party looks the other way and spins how much money was put into research and adding two grains of salt to the aspirin. Repeat with epipens, insulin and so on. That is not serving the people. I know My aspirin premise is a ridiculous premise, but the kind of political influence that leads to bankrupting, cheating or killing people solely for profit just because you can get away with it, as opposed to doing what is best for he country was my point.

We need to end the training of foreign military here. Period. I know it has been going on for a long time, but I’m not surprised it’s someone from SA, given the “someone”s that “did something” on 9/11.

Rob doesn’t trust cops. I don’t trust non-Christian Middle Easterners.

I agree with Tradd about military training; I don't like being seen as a militaristic country, and we don't need to arm/train the world.

I don't trust religious fanatics of any denomination, nor people who weaponize their faith.

And like Rob, I would be wary of police if I lived where they were an oppressive, trigger-happy presence.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I agree with Tradd about military training; I don't like being seen as a militaristic country, and we don't need to arm/train the world.

I don't trust religious fanatics of any denomination, nor people who weaponize their faith.

And like Rob, I would be wary of police if I lived where they were an oppressive, trigger-happy presence.
    Jane, Thank You. I find your take here very balanced, rational, and adult and I agree with all you have posted here. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    We need to end the training of foreign military here. Period.
    It would seem to me there would be some advantages to having common training, procedures, equipment, and understanding with the military forces of our allies.

I know in the fire service this is very helpful, when we are called in for mutual aid. ( Oddly, a side-effect of the post-9/11 world has been nation-wide training standards for command-and-control and incident management for first responders, as the response to Katrina and 9/11 demonstrated that we were sort of bad at this.)

Yppej
    I found Medea Benjamin's book The U.S.-Saudi Connection informative. The Saudi government are thugs and we shouldn't be in bed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I know a good number of Middle Eastern Christians. The bottom line is that they are not trying to blow us up. The Muslims, on the other hand...Religion of peace? What an effin’ crock of BS.

Yppej
    Agreed Tradd. I have a Coptic Christian friend who faced harassment and discrimination before coming to the US. If she stayed who knows but she could have died in one of the many attacks on Christian churches. One thing I agree with Trump on is that when taking in refugees from places like Syria we should prioritize persecuted groups like Christians.

Thread Information