I spent last week helping a friend make funeral arrangements for her husband. He had a heartbreaking bout with cancer, and peacefully passed in hospice. They had discussed cremation and he would be interned at a military cemetery. They are very active in a church and the service will be done there.

so I am thinking of making final arrangements for myself.

i know I want to be cremated. I don’t think I want to take up space in perpetuity in a columbarium or other structure. Has anyone decided what to do with their remains?

i know sometimes family members scatter ashes at a place dear to their loved ones. I am thinking of options.

dh May want to be placed near his birthplace, so I would consider that once he makes his decision.

The funeral director suggested pre writing an obituary, and making all these decisions as it makes it way easier on a family and you should do whatever you want.

of course, we all know the importance of wills, trusts, making sure your beneficiaries are correct on any accounts, policies etc. living wills, health care proxies all done in accordance with federal and state laws are crucial to follow unless you want to donate lots of money to attorneys to sort through stuff. And your money may not end up where you want.