Thread: UK Election

UK Election

So now it looks like the Conservatives have scored their most decisive victory since the days of the Iron Lady, making it likely that Brexit will finally happen. The SNP also gained seats. Labour came out poorly, which it appears to me could end the annoying leadership of Mr Corbyn.

People have so often linked Brexit with the last US election as part of the same trend, I wonder if this can be viewed as an omen.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I agree with you. A few things I think we have in common with Britain : many people are fearful of not having extremely strict immigration. They don’t seem to want poor people, brown people, Muslim people among others

The erosion of benefits like pensions, lack of affordable quality healthcare and the enormous cost of higher education, some of which we have in common, has made many people discontent. Paying high taxes that might be given to others who “don’t deserve it” weighs heavily on some attitudes.

plus social media. Until very recently things like the constitution we’re not widely discussed. Suddenly, everyone is an expert constitutional scholar spreading misinformation. The Supreme Court cannot even figure some things out after lifetimes of law study and practice. A parallel exists in Britain. And of course deliberate misinformation by bad actors being spread and promoted.

I think if the election were held tomorrow in the US, Republicans would win in a landslide. They are so convinced and have spent so much effort promoting democrats “love to kill babies”, want to take all your money and give it to poor people and illegals, are part of a deep state, and have the audacity to not believe in Jesus. I don’t see much counter effort from the democrats to combat this misinformation. When I listen to some of Trumps rallies, and see the red faced screaming angry mobs, and see the relentless attacks on the press, it reminds me of the Hitler rallies. Jews were confined to ghettos and experiments were going on to figure out how to most efficiently kill them. That was what the Wannsee conference was all about. While people, glad it wasn’t them or actually happy to see them being persecuted, turn a blind eye.

I find it frightening as civilized society can so quickly plunge into war, genocide and chaos.

People have illusions about the past and how great it was. They want to go back to Shangri-La which never really existed. The young people wanted the opportunity to travel freely for work and experience. The older generations wanted things how they used to be. That triggered the Brexit vote.

The endless confusion that ensued finally exhausted the old and the young who wanted it over. The opposition waffled about so much.

I personally think it was a poor decision at the outset for poor reasons but understand the frustration at the end. I think BOJO is going to be a huge arrogant mistake causing great regret but time will tell the Brits if the vote was worth it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Is there a lesson here for America? Was this election won by the Conservatives or mostly lost by Labour?

On the one hand, BJ did not seem to make a point of baiting the media, and did not push an austerity agenda. On the other JC made promises so large even hardened class warriors had difficulty believing them, and he seemed unable to dispel that whiff of anti-semitism that followed him everywhere.

It doesn’t seem possible that Brexit and immigration were the only factors in such a major defeat in so many Labour strongholds.

I heard this discussed on the radio: one factor is that the Tories made it clear Brexit was going to happen. Even if that is not wildly popular, the uncertainty of Brexit-or-not makes the populace tired. I can’t help but think it’s bad for business since on uncertain environments work against business.

I want to know what is going happen to Scotland.

Am I the only one?

Could be the end of the UK. The Scots Nationalists are already calling for a new referendum, and as a glance at one of those color-coded electoral maps shows, their support is solid. Tories will stave this off but won't be able to forever.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Could be the end of the UK.
    What happens to Ireland in the Brexit-scheme-of-the-month?

Thread Information