Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macular Degeneration and Vegetable OIls

Macular Degeneration and Vegetable OIls

Interesting article postulating that modern use of industrial seed oils may be leading to an epidemic of blindness in Australia:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vege...10-gdj3ic.html

Wow, that is pretty scary. I can at least count myself lucky that olive oil is one of my very favorite foods.

I remember reading about certain "fake fats" being linked to obesity for perhaps a similar reason - the forms of these manufactured fat molecules are unfortunately "good enough for government work" when it comes to building cell walls, but they're not actually suitable from a molecular standpoint to perform the expected function. (sort of like installing a cheap dummy doorknob and then realizing you can't get into your house.)

We use canola oil with olive oil as a reserve for certain things (due to its being more expensive). I didn't see it mentioned in the article - unless I missed it?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Canola (rapeseed oil) is highly processed, an industrial seed oil. Best to stick with naturally occurring oils like olive, avocado, butter, lard--in other words, oils either pressed from naturally oily fruits or saturated fats. The author of the study was timid about saturated fats, but I'm not.

I only use butter and olive oil.

I am skeptical about this study. I would want to see more information about it.

i was raised on real butter and olive oil and still use it. I eat a diet very much like that recommended although fish is now very rare for me. I have macular Degeneration. No one in my husbands anti saturated fat, non fish and few veggies, butter is the devil, oleo fed family has any issues with the disease.

there is a strong genetic component.

Treatment has improved exponentially. My grandfather was effectively blind at 80. My father is still reading large print. I am on a vitamin regimen that I have been told has a 90% chance of stopping the progression at it’s current minimally noticeable level.

Yay! Chicken Lady is back! AND Kib too! Welcome back to both!!!

I use butter as well, but my question would be... what oil - other than olive oil - do folks use in baking, etc? I don't use olive oil in dressings that I put in the fridge - for the obvious solidifying issue. I have a cake recipe that calls for oil and using olive oil would definitely effect the taste. I've been thinking that canola was a "better" alternative to corn or plain vegetable oil, but I guess I'm wrong. What is an inexpensive alternative? (If you haven't guessed by now, I am not well-versed in oils. lol)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    I make salad dressing fresh each time I eat salad rather than putting it in the fridge.

Other oils I have tried besides olive are coconut, walnut, and avocado. Coconut has the strongest taste.

Thread Information