Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macular Degeneration and Vegetable OIls

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Thanks for all the info and input. When I bake for home, I do all those things like subbing applesauce and always use butter, etc. I do most of the baking for work birthdays and those are the baked goods that I stick to the recipes... it's not always wise to use co-workers as guinea pigs. LOL.

I've never tried avocado oil, but will. And see about a bottle of light olive oil for a sub as well.

Thanks again!!
    I've made mayonnaise with both; I'm not a huge fan of EVOO, so mayo made with it didn't make the cut.

I've actually got back to cooking with tallow and lard sometimes - great for baking, but I try to source it carefully, so it's pricy and maybe not worth the effort. I second avocado oil as a light alternative to olive, and butter ... well, I consider everything from buns to beans simply a good vehicle for the transfer of butter from plate to mouth.

From dietheartnews on Twitter:

Bacon fat: 50% is monounsaturated, mostly oleic acid (valued in olive oil). About 3% monounsaturated antimicrobial palmitoleic. About 40% saturated - why bacon fat is relatively stable, unlikely to go rancid. Remaining 10% is polyunsaturated. It's all good!

I remember when some people would save the bacon fat to fry eggs in. I hate the taste and can’t eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I remember when some people would save the bacon fat to fry eggs in. I hate the taste and can’t eat it.
    I enjoy bacon, pretty much as often as possible, but bacon fat adds flavor I don't need in most other foods. I will use it in dressing for bacon and tomato salad, and to cook green beans, etc. I like my eggs cooked in butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I still do.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I love bacon and cook my eggs in butter or olive oil.

Eggs are great fried in butter, but in bacon fat is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I enjoy bacon, pretty much as often as possible, but bacon fat adds flavor I don't need in most other foods. I will use it in dressing for bacon and tomato salad, and to cook green beans, etc. I like my eggs cooked in butter.
    I make Scottish mince, mostly for DH but I'll eat it if it's local grass-fed beef. However, DH doesn't like grass-fed beef because he feels it doesn't have the same fatty flavor as regular beef. So I fry up a couple of slices of bacon, throw it in the mince and spoon in a couple of teaspoons of bacon fat, and according to him, it tastes better. It's a bit of a compromise on my part, because pouring in bacon fat from Oscar Meyer or whatever somewhat negates my efforts to eat local/sustainable. Oh, well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So, buy local bacon. Why not?

Thread Information