Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online shopping? - returns are sent to landfill

Our local SA just started sorting by size; we were speculating that competition from Savers down the street might have spurred this welcome change. For many years, SA was the only place around, but now we have 2 Savers, 1 Goodwill, and a couple of smaller local charity shops to choose from.

Tucson has got to be the thrift store capital of the country. I believe we have over 100 of them, probably more like 200 if you count consignment stores. I like the convenience of Savers, but I also like the store around the corner from me, a one-of-a-kind, because they're really dedicated to using what they get, and will give it away for just about nothing if it's not very nice. So I can go and get a huge bag of terrycloth rags for $1, or pick up a missing scrabble tile for $.50 from a game that might be missing a couple of pieces ... I'm sort of obsessed with not creating garbage, so at least for me, there's a place for the "crappy thrift store" as well as the nice one. (and also somewhere I don't feel bad donating something I wouldn't give to a higher quality place.)

I get a thrill out of re-using or re-purposing whatever I can. As such, every bit of decor in my house is probably 80% used. Clothing similar.

It's my understanding that only "ingested" things are thrown out.......like returned food or otc medication

Saw an article on Business Insider that showed research found that some of the third-party vendors resell items retrieved from dumpsters or other nefarious places. I don't order much from amazon anymore as I don't trust the quality or origin of many items.

Amazon has some return store here, called something like $5 and under. They have been advertising the heck out of it, but I have yet to visit one.

Thread Information