Thread: Do I need to save these documents?

Do I need to save these documents?

Found a file containing all the wills, trusts, misc estate settlement documents from my father, mother and brother who all passed away with individual estates settled over 25 years ago. Is there any reason to keep this stuff?

For historic family reasons, they could be interesting.

Somewhere online is my great great grandfather or maybe it’s a great great great for grandfather I don’t know, I don’t remember, showing his will where he left his Pennsylvania farm to several of his sons and daughters.It is of great interest to ask, his descendants.

Personally, I would feel no responsibility to keep the items you describe.

I am a big saver for genealogical purposes, but I don't save if I can't see a use--i.e. if someone left no children, for example, unless they had some historical interest for some reason.

So I personally would not save wills from 25 years ago, unless there was a relative who wanted them.

Scan them and save as a file if you have concerns. Then you can shred the paper. It is unlikely that the estates will be contested at this point so I don't think you have a legal reason to save them.

7 years after my MIL died we threw it all away.

It is a part of my life I would rather forget. Opening up the file and seeing all that brought it all back. Leaning towards letting it all go.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It is a part of my life I would rather forget. Opening up the file and seeing all that brought it all back. Leaning towards letting it all go.
    I burned some files last night because it was the solstice and I thought, what a great time to get rid of this stuff, and the pain that went with it.

I even burned a couple of pieces of paper I had been holding onto for 20 years, proof of my ex's perfidy. I figured, I didn't need to drag them with me into the new year, released them, and the pain, into the cosmos.

I had similar documents from relatives who passed away ten to fifteen years ago. My CPA accountant advised that there was no legal reason to keep any of them. The only thing I saved was death certificates.

I'm boxing it and keeping in the attic for 10 years. If nothing pops up after that I'll give everybody a last looky loo and then destroy. I always worry that something will pop up and even though it has been two years and all has been dispersed some checks arrived the other day that I'm going to have to do some work to cash because the trust is no longer and the bank account has been closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I'm boxing it and keeping in the attic for 10 years. If nothing pops up after that I'll give everybody a last looky loo and then destroy. I always worry that something will pop up and even though it has been two years and all has been dispersed some checks arrived the other day that I'm going to have to do some work to cash because the trust is no longer and the bank account has been closed.
    Put "2029 destroy" on the box. You'll never need to open and relive again!

Thread Information