Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Places that only accept cash or places that have gone completely cashless

Yppej
    Tolls are electronic only in my state.

One gas station gives a 10 cent per gallon cash discount. Drug dealers and other criminals take cash only, or sometimes barter.

Taking cash is the least favorite part of my job, but a few people cannot be approved for a credit line and some can't even get a credit card or debit card. I wish we had self-checkout and a robot could deal with the money.

Some contractors take cash or credit only but if you have an emergency they can have you make a card payment on their account at their supply house.

Donut shop, several mom and pop restaurants. A supplier that I pick up from, stopped taking credit cards, and now only takes cash in the exact amount, but the business checks are no problem (no idea about personal ones). I assume they also have some sort of account thing, but we have always done Check on pickup.

Going the other way, a friend was the manager of the Hyvee gas station when they first opened them. In the first year, they were taking in something like $15K a day in cash. When he left, they were at $5k a day in cash and plastic had dramatically gone up, and total sales had gone up.

Edit:
    I have never understood, how places (or their customers), like QuickTrip, take plastic for just soda refills. Other convenience stores I have seen only take cash for sub $5 purchases.

The cannabis dispensaries only take cash or debit.

I just remembered that my DH's barber only takes cash also (it's a one-man/one-chair shop) and my hair salon no longer allows you to add the tip to a credit/debit card payment.

The PA Turnpike is converting to cashless. If you don't pay by EZ-Pass, they take a photo of your license plate and send you a bill. You also get a discount for using EZ-Pass.

The bus system here in Pittsburgh is actively encouraging people not to use cash but to use their Connect Cards or tickets. They charge $2.75 for cash fare but only $2.50 if it's being deducted from a cash-value Connect Card. I get the annual pass so I only pay for 11 months but ride for 12 months.

I learned yesterday, there is a clothing store here that refuses cash. He went to buy my sister her gift and had to use a debit card instead. He was quite incensed.

My friend just returned Saturday from a business trip in China - he said in Beijing - his experience was everyone paid for everything on their phone. No credit cards/cash! Even business cards are exchanged via your phone.

Locally my barber shop takes only cash - and I rarely carry any cash - all debit card for me, so I am always having to drop by the ATM before i get my hair cut. Fortunately my barber and bank are with a block of one another. I think it is a combination of high CC fees and perhaps some clipping under the table going on. I know our business' CC fees run about +/- $ 2,000.00 a month!

The local church run thrift store is cash only. The more they pay in credit card fees, the less money goes to helping people. Some small business have a $50 minimum to use a credit or debit card.

Our city farmer's market is mostly cash - almost everyone selling there (inside stalls, some permanent, water and power to the food vendors, very organized) is set up to take credit, but the signal is so weak that most of the time you have to pay cash anyway. Frustrating until you realized it's an ongoing issue and just show up with cash. I don't think anyplace I go is cash-less, most take either.

Thread Information