Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places that only accept cash or places that have gone completely cashless

Places that only accept cash or places that have gone completely cashless

In light of the suggestion to give cash in the "Can I buy a VISA gift card without a fee?" thread, how many places do you know of today that only accept cash? A small diner (5 booths + 11 counter seats) near me only accepts cash.

Conversely, an amusement park we love (Waldameer in Erie, PA) has gone 99% cashless over the past few years. The only places that accept cash are the ticket booths to buy ride-all-day wristbands and the machines to add money to your WallyCard (used for merchandise, food, games and rides). You can also pay with credit/debit cards for food and merchandise.

A small restaurant chain near me recently posted signs indicating that their credit card fees have increased, that they have been absorbing the additional costs but could no longer do so without increasing prices, and they would now be adding the additional percentage to checks paid by card. I didn't think card issuers allowed that. I suspect they'd like to go to cash only but it may not be feasible because the chain is not as small as I thought - it has 12 locations.

A small thrift shop near me where I love to shop has a cash or checks only policy for the reason you state. The fees are such that they'd have to recoup them through higher prices.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

The local Salvation Army kettle campaign is facing this situation. The machines to go cashless are expensive but so few people use cash that the needed donations are down.
    Some high density areas now have debit machines to handle the cashless donations but smaller communities, such as mine, still go with cash or envelopes in which to place a cheque.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I can think of a couple of bars that only accept cash. And an upscale coffee place near my old office that looked at me like I had 3 heads when I paid with cash.

My chiropractor and groomer don’t take CC’s to keep costs down.

My barber does not take cards or checks. Cash only. The local farmer's market is cash-only, though there is an ATM on the premises and there's a kiosk at which they translate WIC credits for chits accepted by the farmers. Some local restaurants do not accept cards.

There was a food court at one of the local malls that went card-only -- and flopped within months. OK, the food was partly at issue, but they caught some flak for not accepting currency. They've since replaced those food court vendors with a new concept that accepts cash, checks, and cards the same way any other restaurant/food truck does.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Parking garages here went CC only. I don't like that.

Seems to be a thing with small Chinese restaurants around here.

The local laundromat went credit card only, pay at the machine. Sure has changed the clientele, but I wonder if it’s going to be sustainable. I only go there with extra large loads, mostly in the winter, of dog beds, and blankets, and throw rugs, because they have the extra large machines.

Conversely, we now have at least half of the restaurants in town, mom-n-pop shops, that are only accepting cash.

A board member from my church mentioned that the church is paying $700-800 a month to process credit cards, all small transactions of less than $50. They are looking at ways to mitigate the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    The local laundromat went credit card only, pay at the machine. Sure has changed the clientele, but I wonder if it’s going to be sustainable. I only go there with extra large loads, mostly in the winter, of dog beds, and blankets, and throw rugs, because they have the extra large machines.

Conversely, we now have at least half of the restaurants in town, mom-n-pop shops, that are only accepting cash.

A board member from my church mentioned that the church is paying $700-800 a month to process credit cards, all small transactions of less than $50. They are looking at ways to mitigate the expense.
    Are they getting enough in donations via cc to make accepting cards worthwhile?

Thread Information