Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 12 /25 everyone!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Happy 12 /25 everyone!

What are you doing today if anything? We are having a ham and a salad from the guava fruit and oranges from our yard. Went to Mass this morning, exchanged gifts late last night as is the tradition in Austria. Just a nice, peaceful, mellow day. And even the weather is getting Christmassy this year.....raining and upper 50's today. Rob

I am celebrating with family.

My divorce was finalized yesterday, Christmas Eve. One year after divorce papers were served on me the previous Christmas Eve. One and a half years after my wife left me, 15 minutes before the family was arriving here for a dinner party, to drive herself to Michigan and move in with her lover (and cousin). Two years after we began expensive and grueling high end marital therapy. Three years after she began her affair with the cousin.

So, I am so happy and relieved today to finally be done with this process, and the uncertainty. To still have my health, and my family, and my friends. To still have my house, and the house my mother and sister live in, and enough capital to live continue to live. And to have a certain amount of new wisdom.

Feasting begins in about an hour.

We had mom over for a Christmas lunch of turkey, hash brown cheesy casserole, fresh asparagus, and a berry tart hubby made. Everything was delicious and all presents were well thought out and useful.

Weather here is lovely with almost all the snow gone and husband will finish setting up Mom's new TV when he takes her home. He got me a small vintage Coach purse in red leather to use when we travel.

Bae, you have really had a tough time but glad that you are in a good place now. Yesterday we went to a movie and lunch and then went to our favorite happy hour place. Today we are going to my son’s for a traditional Polish Xmas dinner. My DIL is a excellent cook and there will be different courses. Glad everyone is enjoying the holidays.

Bae- I just want to acknowledge your strength and dignity through your whole process. I admire your courage.

For us, Christmas Eve was with the family. Loud and chaotic and fun (with 4 kids under 8). Not long enough to talk to some of the far flung members of our clan that I only see a couple of times a year. Today is quiet, with a late breakfast, some small things for each other to open, and then a walk in the clear cold New England day. I like my life and am generally content with it, but Christmas Day is really the only day I feel it is too quiet.

Yppej
    Christmas Eve was with my parents, siblings, and SIL, food, gifts, and Scrabble. Christmas Day is with my son, food, gifts and relaxing. I am still in my pajamas.

Went to the next door neighbors yesterday and had a wonderful Cuban dinner.

Calling family today and eating excellent turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes, green beans, apple pie. Used the good china and am burning two bayberry candles down to the end for good luck. Used my parents' champagne glasses. Listened to Stephen Cleobury Kings College choir, now on to German choirs of the same carols.

My husband liked his Christmas presents.

We are both sick with colds and that have been going on for 10 days so we are not doing much. We are walking around A little outside in the sunshine. I’m listening to Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle concert videos, gettin’ lots of f bombs. Turkey soup for lunch, steaks for dinner.

We just came into the camper after spending several hours sitting on the beach in South Carolina. This is our third day here and we'll be here for another four days before heading back home for our annual combined Christmas/New Years celebration with our daughter and grandkids. We'll be heading out soon to a Chinese Buffet for dinner and then we'll return to watch a couple of movies from RedBox. We're both hanging onto cold symptoms my wife brought home from school with her just before her Christmas break so I think we'll sleep well tonight after medicating ourselves with NyQuil. Sickness aside, we're having a great time sitting beneath sunny skies with low 70's temps, such a welcome relief from a typical S/W Ohio December.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

bae, bad timing (Christmas Eve) but glad you have some closure on your annus horribilus.

This has been the most "interesting" Christmas of all.. My non-attached son wound up in the ER on Monday (nothing serious--he's fine now, but sore after a nasty fall) so that put a money (Freudian slip--I meant "monkey") wrench into my last-minute shopping plans. So, all bets were off. We determined we'd do no gift exchange today, and we wouldn't stress out about anything. So the three of us have simply treated today like Thanksgiving. Just hanging out, chilling. We had a blueberry pancake brunch and we're having a pork tenderloin dinner. We decided to each pick a Christmas movie and we'd binge watch those, so we'll be doing A Christmas Carol, National Lampoon Christmas Vacation, and Charlie Brown's Christmas.

I'm really, really at peace with this. I've spent a lifetime of stressing out over Christmas (at least 43 years), and now I'm trying something different. There's something to be said for it.

Tomorrow or Friday we'll get together with the two other kids/SOs in VT and do a gift exchange.

Oh, and I did wind up with a tree--$12.50 at the Dollar General, plus $2.00 for ornaments, and $3 for batteries for the LED lights)

IMG_0956.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information