Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying

I've eaten in the North End in Boston and I - and people who've been to Italy - disagree.
    also things called cookbooks, youtube cooking demos, italian food websites (I admit for some it might be better to speak the language but google translate may suffice). True one may never have access to 100% of the ingredients but oh well, if so it's nothing one will ever be able to replicate here anyway, which I find the whole point of learning about food, to add such knowledge and recipes to my cooking.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Alan, definitely no preaching from me. For us it was the cost because we could take our car, get there faster and spend less money on gas and stay in a motel. We found that to be more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I think the most correct description to me is cognitive dissonance.
    Had to look that up.....and ,NO! I have no anxiety or mixed feelings about flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I feel some people fetishize travel as some wonderful lifechanging experience. In terms of self-discovery, wherever you go or don't go, there you are. In terms of discovering other cultures, if you live in a nation of immigrants you can do that at home by widening your social circle.
    It IS A WONDERFUL LIFE CHANGING experience! You, obviously have not traveled or you would realize this. Seeing immigrants in this country is not comparable! I realize some people are not willing to go outside their comfort zone.

I have travelled abroad when I was younger. It was fun but seeing tourist sites is not a wonderful life changing experience, and quick tours where your interactions with the locals revolve around them earning a living off your tourist dollars are shallow. It is different if you are living abroad for an extended period of time, or if you get to know immigrants and their culture in your home country for an extended period of time.

Reverse the situation. Do you think a tourist hanging out in Times Square and other tourist traps for a week or two, especially one whose English is limited to non-existent, would have a wonderful, life changing experience of American culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I only have one life which is getting shorter by the minute so intend to do the things that I really value. My DILís Polish family is throwing a big party for us.
    A wholly different experience. When 18, I spent 31 days in The Netherlands. We emigrated from there when I was just 5 months old. The trip was full immersion. Family to take me places and see the real country-not the tourist trap country. Seeing and experiencing what was important to my cousins. Staying with family all but 2 nights.

Not at all the "1000 places to see before you Die" version of travel abroad.

I've traveled just enough to realize I don't really like to. I've opined before that if I could be magically teleported to a faraway location where I could live long enough to hone my language skills, I'd probably enjoy myself--but that's not going to happen.

I love certain travel experiences, not so much others. I dont find travel “ life changing” but the good experiences are fun and interesting. I leave those place with great visual memories. I like architecture and cityscapes, local history, local foods. I like the variety of those things you get in Europe and Asia.

When it comes to natural landscapes, I would just as soon sit back and look at videos and slides. I don’t need to be there with my feet on the ground to experience them, a screen is fine.

I love to travel but I have no interest in other cultures, I figure that I don't necessarily represent whatever culture people may associate me with any better than the average citizen of somewhere else does. I've found that most people who speak of loving other cultures also spend a great deal of time banning statues and monuments, canceling otherwise classical literature and re-naming things to accommodate their interests of the moment, so I don't necessarily want to learn more about the things they allow to remain. I do like history and unique and interesting places and things, the more the better.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I loved to travel when I didn’t have relatives in Europe. We will only be with them for 3 days out of 31. We aren’t into 5 countries in 10 days. We have spent 2 weeks in Tuscany and 2 weeks in Rome. We like to explore smaller places for longer periods of time.

Thread Information