Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying

Flying

I’m on several scuba groups on FB, as well as a big forum. I’m always rather amused by the folks who are continually hitting people over the head about environmental issues, yet they are constantly flying off to Southeast Asia and elsewhere for diving trips. They don’t seem to get the disconnect. Some report flying away long weekends at closer destinations at least once a month.

I dive regionally and all my traveling is via car.

The issues are bigger than any one person and systems are often set up to be not that sustainable (I don't mean that everyone has to fly, some do for work etc., but driving is harder to escape).

But if they are forever hammering on about people driving SUVs, and yet flying all over, yea you have to wonder. I guess we can be glad they don't fly every month, drive one person in an SUV, eat red meat every day, and have 4 kids, as that would be even worse than flying every month but ... I mean if they make efforts elsewhere at least that's good, though flying all the time is very unsustainable. Maybe a lot of it breaks down on income lines, the people who can fly internationally a few times a year, or locally every month, don't want to see how unsustainable that is because they are so used to it, and hey environmental destruction couldn't possibly impact them could it? It could, but at the same it's also bigger than them. Maybe they think they are pretty sheltered (this isn't necessarily true but they are used to money getting them out of problems).

Thank you for not flying.
    Trees don't grow on money

I dislike flying in a major way. It’s just a miserable experience. A diving buddy is taking a job overseas for a couple of years and wants me to come over to dive the Red Sea with him. He doesn’t get that I really despise flying. Plus, I think the cost is just nuts.

The people I talked about in my post, yes, pound everyone about SUVs and everything else (especially plastic), yet off they go flying many times a year. They seem to mostly be European.

I hate to fly but it’s a necessary evil to get to Europe. You can find great deals so it doesn’t have to be expensive.

Yppej
    The older I get the closer to home I like to travel. I have lived in the same area for over almost 50 years and am still finding new places to explore within a few hours drive. It helps to have varied interests.

I have a handful of friends who talk a strong climate crisis talk and have done some relatively major other things, like installing solar panels or going meatless. That I know of, none have made any effort to reduce frequent pleasure travel, whether it's driving or flying, and includes a fair amount of international travel. I consider it a disconnect, also.

There comes a point where a person begins to realize they have a limited number of years left. I travel but am frugal and try to be conscious in other ways. If that is a disconnect, so be it!!

I think the most correct description to me is cognitive dissonance.

It is just the age old saying......

Do as I say, not as I do.

Yppej
    I feel some people fetishize travel as some wonderful lifechanging experience. In terms of self-discovery, wherever you go or don't go, there you are. In terms of discovering other cultures, if you live in a nation of immigrants you can do that at home by widening your social circle.

Thread Information