Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying

Because of fossil fuel use, the climate has been negatively impacted with carbon emissions from power generation, motorized transport, advanced agriculture with machinery...

BUT

Because of fossil fuel, many, many more people are traveling, seeing and valuing the diversity of other countries and cultures, more food is being produced, electricity is readily available, technology has advanced so rapidly with computers, exploration, development...

It seems that a balance of both points of view are required, rather than an either/or.

I do agree with Tradd that if one makes a big deal of the negative impact of another's activities on climate change in one aspect of our world but ignores the impact of climate change from one's own actions on another aspect, it does seem hypocritical.

The bottom line is we all need to cut back on our use of fossil fuels in whatever way we live our lives. The trick is choosing what changes we ought to make and then actually doing it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I believe the climate crisis is not only real but catastrophic, and that we will see unimaginable horrors from it, the living may envy the dead (the old will die of old age, the young may die of climate change). It's already reality, is anyone following the fires on Austalia? Billions will die of climate change. The house is on fire.

And there is very little that feels like effective action maybe, and surprise, surprise, one lives in industrial civilization. But there is no way I'm going to participate in it even more in order to take a vacation. Live simply that others may simply live . I don't fly, there are of course hypothetical circumstances in which I would, but not being present concerns I'd cross that bridge if I came to it.
    Trees don't grow on money

There are a ton of people in the U.S. who either don't think man man climate change is real, or do but are unwilling to make any lifestyle changes. The rest of us are at least trying in our own ways, but any real shame belongs in the other categories of climate change attitudes. I suspect there are other lifestyle changes that would have a bigger impact than air travel, it's just one of the things on the list of things a person can do.

I traveled enough for work that the ordeal of airports, restaurant food, motel beds, and standing in lines to gawk at tourist attractions has absolutely no appeal any more. I still do some limited travel to see family and friends, but like others I don't think I'll tire or run out of local wonders to see and experience.

I believe what the IPCC is saying is a 50% reduction in global carbon emissions by 2030 and net zero by 2050. And that is just to keep things from going from bad to really bad. That's not going to come without some sacrifices.

We had a guy from the UK going on and on about all the SUVs in our parking lot, why weren’t we taking public transit, car pooling, etc.? Mind you, this is a business visitor from one of our UK offices. It was highly inappropriate for him to be going on like he was. We had to explain that there is little public transit outside the boundaries Chicago. The nearest bus stop is about a half mile away and only goes to a transit center that feeds into Chicago. When you go suburb you suburb, there is almost no public transit.

Later I was talking to someone else from that UK office and I was asked if so and so had visited. After I replied yes, I was told the guy who visited drives a big Land Rover, without saying saying anything about the visit.

Some trips I burn less gas flying than driving. Since I can fly somewhat direct to key west I burn less than 30 gal of fuel round trip, and it only takes me a little over a hour. The Drive is 5 1/2 hour and I would use around 35 in my jeep.

i can get around 14-15 mpg going 175 mph in the plane. I can do better if I slow down a little. The jeep gets 18 going 70.

At the prices It cost to fly these days on commercial flights, I have to think the fuel used per mile is not that bad. Most flights of any distance i spend a little more on fuel than what two tickets would cost. I would assume most flights are full with what they charge. So fuel used per mile/ per person has to be figured in.

whats awful is how much fuel some boats use. I’m looking at boats that are only around 30’ and they get around 1 mile per gallon. And they are not that fast, 30-40 mph cruise.

Our RV only gets 10 mpg. If you don’t go a long distance no big deal but the point for us was long trips. With any luck it will be sold by spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our RV only gets 10 mpg. If you don’t go a long distance no big deal but the point for us was long trips. With any luck it will be sold by spring.
    We were getting 9-10 mpg in ours as well. Now that it's been replaced we're getting about 13 mpg in the diesel pickup while towing the camper. Surprisingly, we're also getting about 28 mpg when not towing.

I'm not gonna get too distressed about our carbon footprint and I promise not to give anyone else a hard time about theirs as long as they don't get all preachy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The food is totally different than for instance what is considered Italian food in the states.
    I've eaten in the North End in Boston and I - and people who've been to Italy - disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I've eaten in the North End in Boston and I - and people who've been to Italy - disagree.
    Oh yes, the food there was AMAZING!!!!

I only have one life which is getting shorter by the minute so intend to do the things that I really value. My DIL’s Polish family is throwing a big party for us.

Thread Information