Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Flying

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My kids have been to India and after their description I wouldn’t go. Actually Thailand was beautiful but the river horribly polluted and it stunk. The air was bad also. Now I stick to Europe. My husband wanted to see Australia and New Zealand but now with all the fires probably not worth it. My kids saw an outdoor crematory with the bodies exposed. Dead children and pregnant women are thrown into the river which supplies their drinking water.
    I guess that's what people mean by "experiencing different cultures." Closest I'll come to India was reading City of Joy (which I highly recommend--it's fiction, but doesn't read like it--a high compliment from me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My kids have been to India and after their description I wouldn’t go.
    My son spent 9 days in India and loved it. (different strokes for different folks I guess). His only unpleasant experience was getting sick after eating an egg salad sandwich he bought on the train to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. I am definitely not averse to going.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My kids enjoyed the experience. I wouldn’t go after hearing about it. My oldest son and his wife spent a month there. My youngest son got sick so many times he lasted 3 weeks and then moved onto Vietnam which was a step up. Plus with my asthma and the poor air quality I cannot go to that part of the world.

We spent 33 days in India in 1991. A life changing experience. So many things happened: Bush started a war that began and ended while we were there, our airline PanAm went bankrupt but still got us home, etc. It was a British "adventure" tour that I would probably never suggest anyone else try but we survived without getting sick and got home safely. But as the trip went on, I ate less and less adventurous food. Hot veggie cuisine was safest.

I agree that City of Joy is a must read but do not see the movie. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie is pretty good. The only thing you dont get is the smells.

Thread Information