Thread: Prescription savings plans

Prescription savings plans

So after having seen the TV ad for GoodRx several times over the past months, I got interested in how this is supposed to work. Which led me to the discovery that there are many programs out there designed to offer discounts, primarily to those without prescription coverage as part of their health insurance. Tonight I tested a few of them and I just signed up for one: Blink Health.

Blink was started about three years ago by a bunch of big-time tech alumni. While several of the programs (GoodRx, Scriptly, etc.) work on negotiating discounts with various pharmacies through volume, Blink has chosen to circumvent the Prescription Benefit Manager system and works with several thousand retail pharmacies across the country -- but not Walgreens or CVS. I entered the long-term prescriptions I'm taking and their prices (for admittedly generic-type drugs; I don't need anything super-expensive or fancy) came to half of what we pay the mail-order pharmacy coordinated by our medical insurance. And we can either get the medications mailed to us or pick them up (for maybe 10-20% more) at a local pharmacy (including the one I already use for non-longterm medications).

I've looked for a catch -- like my medical history becoming part of someone's marketing effort or past data breaches that have exposed massive amounts of data to the world or annual operating losses that show that the approach doesn't work. Haven't found any of those yet, though I'll keep digging. If drugs through these folks are cheaper than insurance, I don't need to go through insurance.

So has anyone here tried one of these services? Experiences good/bad/indifferent?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We've used GoodRx to shave a little bit off our cats' medications since they are not covered by our prescription plan.

Hhmmm... I wonder how they are with non-generics.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Hhmmm... I wonder how they are with non-generics.
    happystuff, you can plug those into the Web sites for these services without signing up or downloading an app. Worth a few minutes to see.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I take a name brand prescription. There is no generic available. It is a single ingredient drug. This drug is used in combination with others as a different prescription, but I don't need the "extra" ingredient. My insurance has decided to stop covering this drug. With insurance, my cost is $180. Without it's $640!

Signed up at the drug makers website for help - they give a coupon code - New price $75. This coupon is good for a number of uses. Phew!

;
    Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I take a name brand prescription. There is no generic available. It is a single ingredient drug. This drug is used in combination with others as a different prescription, but I don't need the "extra" ingredient. My insurance has decided to stop covering this drug. With insurance, my cost is $180. Without it's $640!

Signed up at the drug makers website for help - they give a coupon code - New price $75. This coupon is good for a number of uses. Phew!
    For fun, I looked up what I have been prescribed, Advair. It is $523, which is over half of my social security income each month.

There is something so wrong with this picture.

My insurance wanted:65 for Advair or 168 for the generic. After going without it and having my chest squeeze every day I found it on GoodRx for 95. My doctor said that she wrote a justification for why I need it and the copay should go down to 30. I will see what happens the next time I try to fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My insurance wanted:65 for Advair or 168 for the generic. After going without it and having my chest squeeze every day I found it on GoodRx for 95. My doctor said that she wrote a justification for why I need it and the copay should go down to 30. I will see what happens the next time I try to fill it.
    That's good insurance, TT!! My copay was 356 last time I checked.

Tybee I made a typo. They wanted 365 for the Advair.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    happystuff, you can plug those into the Web sites for these services without signing up or downloading an app. Worth a few minutes to see.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information