Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recycling household waste when you don’t have the service

Recycling household waste when you don’t have the service

My condo complex does not offer recycling as part of trash service. I’d like to begin recycling my household waste, but I cannot find anywhere that will take it. I’m a single person household so not a ton of stuff.

I’ve called my town and they referred me to the town’s contracted trash hauler, who can’t help me since they don’t service my complex and don’t deal with individuals.

Taking it to work is not an option. No recycling there except for cardboard in the warehouse.

Googling, I found options for electronics and such, but nothing for my situation. Any ideas? I’m talking about small amounts of plastic containers, milk jugs, junk mail/paper, glass, etc.

Our local grocery Loblaws chain has a 3-bins set up at the entrance. Plastic and paper recycling and waste. Walmart has a similar setup, I believe. Would that idea be a possibility?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Before we had curbside service, we hauled it all (every 3 months), to the local recycling business. They had a bin outside for each type of item.

I used to do the same as Gard before curbside recycling. Considering that only 9% of what we put in recycling actually gets recycled since China quit taking it probably not worth the effort.

I hear you. I dump in in my mom's recyling bin is my solution and they don't take all that many plastics anymore either, so many I just trash. And I don't leave CRV recycling there as it will be hoarded.

Recycling has become very near impossible. A local recycling business, none exist except that take the recycling that has a fee attached (CRV) and increasingly few of those (that program is a whole scam of it's own with charging us fees it's so hard to get back as all the recycling businesses have closed). Work has a bin in which people just put random trash, so I have no great faith that gets recycled. A very rare store (none that local to me) have a bin and one natural area does and a few cities on the sidewalk (but I'm sure people are just dumping random junk). It gets to the point where one might drive all over town to recycle and ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Our local grocery Loblaws chain has a 3-bins set up at the entrance. Plastic and paper recycling and waste. Walmart has a similar setup, I believe. Would that idea be a possibility?
    Yes, I’ll check if Walmart or even Whole Foods has the bins. Both are near me.

Some of our local Safeways and Fred Meyer (Kroger), maybe others...have bins just inside their doors where you can recycle both plastic shopping bags and plastic wrap from items like TP, paper towels, etc.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Some of our local Safeways and Fred Meyer (Kroger), maybe others...have bins just inside their doors where you can recycle both plastic shopping bags and plastic wrap from items like TP, paper towels, etc.
    I’ll look for those as well. Thanks!

Is recycling even a real thing these days?

I've seen all of these articles indicating that the recycling industry was sort-of a fraud, backed by China accepting boatloads of our junk, which they no longer are willing to do.

Our local recycling/transfer station, which the community owns, has certainly been having serious problems as a result of this structural change.

https://medium.com/@jonathanusa/ever...g-f348b4ee00fe

Sadly China was probably dumping it in the ocean.

Thread Information