Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recycling household waste when you don’t have the service

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Is recycling even a real thing these days?

I've seen all of these articles indicating that the recycling industry was sort-of a fraud, backed by China accepting boatloads of our junk, which they no longer are willing to do.

Our local recycling/transfer station, which the community owns, has certainly been having serious problems as a result of this structural change.

https://medium.com/@jonathanusa/ever...g-f348b4ee00fe
    Dang. Didn’t realize it was to that extent. So avoiding stuff if possible seems to be preferred. Except for plastic beverage bottles and metal cans.

So much is hard to avoid. My allergy medication comes in a small bottle but they enclose it in cardboard and plastic so it’s too big to easily steal. I have been recycling for 35 years and had no clue it probably was for nothing.

There is a local brewery near me that takes glass. Aluminum and maybe steel cans have enough dollar value that at least around here there are few places that take them. One of them is a feed store that makes a little on the side recycling or maybe a junk yard. My friendly recycling center takes cardboard and other paper products as well, but discontinued taking all but #5 plastics. At this point my other plastics (besides plastic bags and wrappers) goes to the landfill.

Michigan has had a 10 cent deposit on bottles for ages. That really helps with the litter.

One of our cat charities talked to several of the metal recyclers around our city and we can collect and donate and the amount given will go to them. Win, win.

So discouraging for those of us who have faithfully recycled for years. My local recycling center takes cardboard/paper, aluminum and metal, but I have continued to save my #1 & #2 plastics and hauled them in my car to another county to drop off. Now I wonder how much of it is really being recycled. I think I will continue to recycle what my local area takes, and forget the plastic. Makes me cringe just to say it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I just opened the mail and had a letter from waste management. They wanted to assure people that they are recycling and not throwing it away. They don’t send anything overseas except for cardboard. They reminded people what’s acceptable.

I know it is an uphill battle, but - while I recycle as much as possible - I'm starting to look at the packaging and such on the items I buy. And, I'm also emailing and calling companies I believe are "over-doing it" on non-recyclable and to much packaging. I'm using my voice to try to change the packaging at the company source. Don't know if they are listening, but I don't mind the effort to try.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

One of our local trash companies, has a drop of depot for recyclables.

When we were in college, the school offered glass blowing. Periodically, we'd leave bags of glass bottles at the art studio, knowing they'd get recycled. Look for your local glass blower, the state artisans group, etc.

Newspapers, etc. are usually welcomed at your local animal shelter, pet shop, etc.

Single-use plastics: I recently found a bin at my co-op. Used grocery bags at least here can be recycled at the market.

Used clothes can either be made into rags, if torn or stained, or cut down and reshaped, if you're talented that way, or sold on a FB local seller's page or consigned. Also other housewares can be sold or consigned or donated.

Used tires and oil are usually recycled by garages. Ask your mechanic. Although our dump takes both.

Cooking fats are frequently recycled by restaurants and cafeterias. When I worked in a cafeteria, they were happy to let me add the odd cup or two of fats to the barrel, as it was sold by weight.

Find out what you can take to your local dump, would probably be where I'd start, then go on from there. At one point, we would save our metal and glass and drive it out to the local military posts dump. They accepted recycles from the "townies" but not our garbage.

Thread Information