Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tibetan Healing

Tibetan Healing

Happy New Year. I am a mystic and
    like to call myself a New Age Pentecostal.

Is anyone familiar with Tibetan singing-bowls? Basically, you
    can use ceramic bowls and play them by rubbing them with
    a mallet. They play different notes depending on the size of
    the bowl, like keys on the piano.

My question is: can this be a stable source of income? I did
    the math. If I charge $80 per 1-hour session, I only need
    10 patients per week, to generate enough to live on my own.

I live in the San Gabriel Valley, part of Los Angeles county.

Thank You

What would your clients get out of listening to the tones? Would you convince them somehow this would be a benefit to them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Do market research to see if there’s a market?

I am familiar with them but not as a "business". Nowhere near your area so not sure if you could find consistent clients at that price. Good luck.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

When you say "patients" does that mean the singing bowls are a healing tool?

ETA: I saw this article online, so I answered my own question, but please elaborate anyway.

https://www.verywellmind.com/tibetan...-healing-89828

These are some of the questions you could ask yourself:

• To what degree would you have to educate the public on the benefits?
    • How do other complementary (more mainstream--reiki, acupuncture) therapies do in your area?
    • How long would your work with patients last--i.e., could you treat patients with chronic pain and/or stress, which would be much better than a "one and done" situation?
    • Do you have connections with yoga studios or massage studios where you could at least leave cards, or even better, do demonstrations?
    • Do your hospitals have a complementary or holistic medicine department where you could get leads?

I think your major challenges are educating the public and getting 10 regular clients/patients. Even my cousin who is a lifelong music teacher, has a hard time maintaining enough income to live on with her piano and voice students.

Also, you would need to invest in a website and other "education" materials to explain the benefits and your qualifications. Probably wouldn't be exorbitant, but you would need that as the "cost of entry."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Do you have a license to practice medicine and can you prove this "benefit"?
    Why do you think I would pay you (don't even know if your in tune), when I can just do this:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+singing-bowl

Define mystic and your qualifications?
    Lots of ways to save money on hokem.

I think if you are asking this sort of question here, that the answer is probably “no”.

Well there is no end of things people can sell people to make money. They don't all work out of course. The easiest and safest way to get a viable business idea is to copy an existing successful business and I have not heard of people doing exactly this (but similar - see below). But I think you need to do more research than we can provide you. I mean I'm not a businessperson nor self-employed so I don't have general business advice nor any advice on this specifically to give.

What would your clients get out of listening to the tones? Would you convince them somehow this would be a benefit to them?

Do you have a license to practice medicine and can you prove this "benefit"?
    Why do you think I would pay you (don't even know if your in tune), when I can just do this
    Okay are the skeptics even aware of the existence of things like "sound baths"? Also if the original poster isn't I would research it. Because basically things called "sound baths" exist where you pay (and it's not that cheap though I don't think it runs quite $80) to listen to sounds. So it's not actually that much different than this (although it's classes not one on one) and it does bring in money it seems. This is an actually existing business (I don't know if it's viable long term, I don't know how many of these there are really consumers for as it may be small market, I don't know how profitable it is), but it is an actual thing, not speculating in one's head about what may and may not work. There are also meditation studios (yes businesses that just give meditation classes exist) that include sound but they are more about meditation than sound.

On another topic: I do think it's *possible* if one is decently skilled at it, to make a living giving music lessons. Easy? Now I don't know about that. This is a case where I would definitely talk to people who are already doing it for a living.
    Trees don't grow on money

I wouldn't want to discourage your idea without knowing your talents and benefits, but to be totally honest I can't see making a living from it. I could possibly see it generating some income in combination or as a supplement to other healing arts.

There is nothing Tibetan about these "healing bowls" other than the name they were given a few decades ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_bell

I mean, maybe some people could be convinced to pay $80/hour to participate in a made-up tradition, but if you can market that idea successfully you probably can sell anything.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information