Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something politically positive.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Something politically positive.....

I believe many of us may agree on.

I'm beyond impressed and grateful to see Mayor Pete running and being taken seriously at least by some as a candidate.....while being openly gay and married to another man. This to me says a lot about changes in society the past ten years - I could not have seen Mayor Pete running even 10 years ago.....and ten years ago he would not have been legally able to marry his male partner.

Point being - for once I'm seeing some positive change - positive change that Trump to date has not been able to roll back. Rob

And I'm happy to see two females as respected contenders. Maybe that's a much bigger "it's about time" since females represent 51% of the population.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It would be even better still if no energy were wasted arguing which group had the superior claim to “our turn” status.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It would be even better still if no energy were wasted arguing which group had the superior claim to “our turn” status.
    I don't think it's energy wasted to affirm the progress made in getting two historically dismissed, subjugated and outright hated groups of people to the point at which, after 250 years and 45 presidents, they actually have a shot at the White House.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't think it's energy wasted to affirm the progress made in getting two historically dismissed, subjugated and outright hated groups of people to the point at which, after 250 years and 45 presidents, they actually have a shot at the White House.
    How does asserting “a much bigger about time” contribute to eliminating prejudgment based on identity? How is that not the same old game with different players?

How does asserting “a much bigger about time” contribute to eliminating prejudgment based on identity? How is that not the same old game with different players?
    Those two groups are bickering and considering calling themselves the Terri's and the Wig parties.

The fact is that when you have 50% of the population that are potentially qualified to be president, but have been shut out of the process for hundreds of years, you have to say to yourself it's about time a female is considered a viable candidate. I agree with Rob that it's great that likewise, a gay, married to a male, is not automatically shut out of the process.

Listen, I'm voting for another old white guy, so it's not about pushing an identity politics game for me. It's a simple observation--Kennedy broke the religious barrier; Obama broke the race barrier. Both of those are positive things. Now it's time for women and LGTBQ to break more barriers. I am not judging who deserves to get there first.. it just seems that the pool of female candidates is larger than the pool of LGTBQ candidates, and from a statistical standpoint alone, it's about time for a female to be taken seriously. If you disagree, perhaps you have your own prejudices.

It would also be nice if we hadn't had 44 out of 45 presidents all be straight white men, thus making anyone who isn't, noteworthy.

Hard to tell how much prejudice there really is unless someone was the nominee, with mayor Pete I suspect a lot of latent prejudice would come out (and no I don't mean everyone who isn't a Pete fan is prejudiced AT ALL, people have legitimate criticism and legitimate reasons for supporting other candidates. But *IF* he was the nominee AND they lose Dem turnout in the general I'd tend to see some role of prejudice). Women I don't know, I'd like to think we were WELL beyond that with women, but I don't know (Hillary had a ton of flaws of course, but losing to Trump of all people, you know - maybe we're not).
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I love Pete. He is very smart, has many great policy ideas, served in the military and is very eloquent. He lacks some experience but that so far hasn’t stopped people from getting elected. His gay status might very well stop him from getting elected. Sadly, I might add.

I don’t think it is a matter of whose turn it is. That talk just adds more divisiveness. We need a candidate who will represent the voters, not just the corporations and wealthy donors who help them get re-elected and more wealthy.

Someone who who is not going to make our uninsured crisis worse. Someone who is not going to insult our allies. Someone who is not going to incite the far right and left extremists to violence, antisemitism and mass shooting. And someone who is going to really support our military, not undermine their authority and devalue years of faithful service.

Thread Information