Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something politically positive.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It would also be nice if we hadn't had 44 out of 45 presidents all be straight white men, thus making anyone who isn't, noteworthy.
    Were they really *all* straight?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    How do you propose we correct injustice without naming it? Shall we all form a circle and sing Kumbaya? Really, I'm open for suggestions.
    I propose dispensing justice at the retail level rather than the wholesale level, with each case judged on its individual merits.

I propose breaking out of the mindset that each of us is reducible to a set category in a taxonomy of victims and victimizers.

I propose calling injustice “injustice”, with no need for an industry built around attaching modifiers to what should be a simple concept.

I propose judging people by their actions rather than what we intuit the motivations behind their actions to be.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 12-30-19 at 2:44pm.

Isn't it identity-based thinking that said that blacks have no place in "white" diners or restrooms?
    Isn't it identity-based thinking that said that people with AIDS deserved it?
    Isn't it identity-based thinking when William F. Buckley, Jr lamented that "the son of an alumnus now has less of a chance of getting [into Yale] than some boy from P.S. 109 somewhere" when legacy admissions were slashed?
    Yes it was, in every case, that's why lots of us believe it's well past time to stop that sort of thinking.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes it was, in every case, that's why lots of us believe it's well past time to stop that sort of thinking.
    Back from South Carolina, huh, Alan? . I was wondering why you didn't respond to this discussion earlier.

Anyway, I've said my piece.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Back from South Carolina, huh, Alan? . I was wondering why you didn't respond to this discussion earlier.
    Yep, got home this afternoon and a little sad about it. I could have used another week or two but my wife must be back in school on Monday and we have to do the holiday thing with our daughter and grandkids starting on Friday.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I hope your wife retires soon Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I hope your wife retires soon Alan.
    Thank you! Me too!!

She says one more year before one little girl that's been with her for the past 5 years is promoted out of the unit, so I'm trying to be patient.

It’s just so nice to be able to travel when you feel like it, go to a movie during the day and not have to plan around a schedule. I love doing spontaneous stuff with DH.

Thread Information