Thread: "Anthropause" resulting from COVID-19

"Anthropause" resulting from COVID-19

"Anthropause", was coined in 2020, denoting the halt in human activity as a result of COVID-19.

I listened to a podcast by Michael McCarthy, which argued that the anthropause has slowed the destruction of "nature" by urbanization. He specifically mentioned:
    being able to see fish in the canals of Venice,
    Spring of 2020 was the best in memory for hearing birdsongs in London,
    Snow-capped Himalaya mountains are visible from the city of Jalandhar in India,
    Global CO2 emissions dropped by 8.8%.

McCarthy argued that it is beneficial to the human psyche to be more aware of nature. He personally looks forward to the winter solstice, and an even more beautiful garden in the spring of 2021.

He did not minimize the losses and human suffering caused by COVID-19.

The useage of our city parks has skyrocketed this year. Some of them have shut down vehicular traffic because there are so many pedesteians using the park.

I am thrilled with seeing hammocks in the park. Circles of neighbors getting together but socially distanced for coffee, for picnics, for evening drinks parties take place regularly. Singles lounging around by the lake are a common sight now.

our park once hosted hundreds of people on a Sunday. Supposedly there were sometimes thousands, but I find that impossible to believe be ause our park is small.

The Victorians
    here did not have yards, they used public parks as the place to “recreate.” We are doing that now.

I had a discussion with a friend about how many more people we see out walking or cycling or other wise enjoying parks and outdoors. It's probably overall a good thing to elevate the appreciation of environmental concerns, plus the added benefits mentioned. Some places did get a little too crowded during the summer. I wonder how temporary it will be, if at all.

I'd not heard of Michael McCarthy and when I looked him up I noticed there is an On Being interview with him. It dates back a couple of years and is a little bit of "the end of nature as we know it" theme, but it was very pleasant to listen to. He has a nice speaking voice and I've always had a little bit of a crush on Krista Tippett.

Great point, IL, about the Victorians and their use of parks--I would say it went through to at least WWII as well.

Pre- airconditioning, people in cities would sleep in groups outside on their landings.

Thread Information