Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your biggest accomplishment of 2019?

I would say my biggest accomplishment was learning how to draw some boundaries around a tragic family situation in which I am pretty fully entangled. I really don't want to say more about that now. But being able to put a fence around it has made a huge difference in my life.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Got a full time job again. Contract work is better than no work, but it's really a very difficult way to live. Never really knowing when the contract will end (turns out it could have lasted till the end of 2019 - ha I didn't know that - us peons are not privy to such knowledge). That's of course the worst part, never knowing when one will be unemployed again. Losing pay whenever there is a national holiday or you take a day off (I barely did). Expensive BAD health insurance (ACA type). Worrying about one's health and working in a toxic waste dump (ok that's not contract work per se, that's where I worked and that I had health issues, probably unrelated).

With uncertain work you develop an entirely different sense of money but it's not necessarily more frugal, yes you really want to save for unemployment, but I ALSO wanted to buy clothes now or if I was unemployed I may be wearing rags pretty soon etc. - a real stock up mentality (no I've never been one with a closet full of excess clothes). A lot more pressure to money decisions, when otherwise it's "if I don't buy it now, I can later" etc. it's not "I need to both save and stock up on whatever I may need later NOW because who knows about tomorow..."

So that's all? In terms of career no, nothing is really static, it does not work that way, sometimes survival is an obstacle course, sometimes a mine field! That really does seem how we live economically these days. Bf and me are always dreaming of the kind of steady careers that seem largely out of reach for various reasons. However, I am in this full time job now, and the people are nice and like me. And I maxed out an IRA last year despite the unstable nature of my work life (did not have access to a 401k). Hey not earth shattering but with so much unstability for much of the year, not bad.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I would say my biggest accomplishment was learning how to draw some boundaries around a tragic family situation in which I am pretty fully entangled. I really don't want to say more about that now. But being able to put a fence around it has made a huge difference in my life.
    Congratulations on making your mental health a priority. May 2020 bring Peace.

RETIREMENT!

Increased our cash assets by 21%.

APN, have you applied for jobs with the state, county and city? That would give you stability.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    l travelled to the south and southwest US which was a longterm wish, figured out that I needed a dog, got my little rescue Beagle who is settling in well becoming more confident and mischievous as the months go by. I ordered a clicker to train him as he is ready for learning tricks.
    Cath, this was a good thread for me this morning as I was feeling a little blue and needed a kick in the pants to count my blessings. Once I started counting, life was a joy again.
    Did you go to Santa Fe?

Finally finished my 1.5-year-long divorce slog at the very end of the year. Now I can be human again.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Did you go to Santa Fe?
    Did not get to Santa Fe which I am told is very worth a visit on its own. I might do that some November when the days are dark at home.

Enjoy your future, Bae, and all its possibilities!
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Did not get to Santa Fe which I am told is very worth a visit on its own. I might do that some November when the days are dark at home.

Enjoy your future, Bae, and all its possibilities!
    For me, Santa Fe is the best thing about the Southwest. The culture and architecture draw me. I dislike desert landscapes and am indifferent to visiting the Great West natural resources, although the cave dwelling
    Indians are interesting to me.

My mom and I went to Santa Fe and Taos in 1994. Very beautiful and fun!

Thread Information