Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What was your biggest accomplishment of 2019?

I can't think of anything momentous, but there was one small thing. On 9/30/18, I set a goal for my self to do at least 10,000 steps a day, every day, with NO exceptions. I met that goal and in fact, still haven't missed a single day. 9/29/18 was the last day I didn't walk at least 10,000 steps.
    I'm almost done stripping the cupboard, so although that isn't a completed accomplishment, it did feel significant to move well into the action stage from the just talking-about-it stage.

I also retired this year, that was big. Since I intentionally have laid low since, while I figure out what is next for me, that's the biggest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I also retired this year, that was big. Since I intentionally have laid low since, while I figure out what is next for me, that's the biggest thing.
    Yay Herbgeek, that is a biggie!

Sold a house that I've been holding onto, empty and unrented, for nearly 7 years. Market picked up, I finally admitted that the cost of making remaining repairs I couldn't do myself wouldn't increase my bottom line position and decided to sell "as is". Put it up, had a nibble within 24 hours and an offer 20 minutes after showing it to the first person who saw it. Perhaps I should be kicking myself for not holding out, but in truth I'm just thrilled, I feel like the effort I made paid off. the agreed on price was more than I'd hoped and It's Done! It closed on 12/23, less than a month after I first posted a sign.

That’s great news akin. We have sold many houses and your first offer is usually the best.

Thanks, it sure is! It was over in an eye blink! I put up a sign in the afternoon. People in the neighborhood walked by the next morning and called. I showed them the house two hours later. I walked them out to their car. Her: "it looks great, we'll have to talk it over." Him: "You said you'd be flexible, how flexible would you be willing to be?" Me: "$." He: "it's a deal." We were in the title office half an hour later, and closed about 3 weeks after that, when the title insurance was complete. I was absolutely floored, it took me seven years to take that step and about seven hours to get the result I wanted. Very empowering!

I think our two remaining tiny houses (on one parcel) are sold. Buyer gets loan commitment this week. If no loan is forthcoming I am not terribly worried about dumping them on a different buyer because we never put a sign out even, we just floated their For Sale status by word of mouth.

we arent making money on it but arent losing much, either. These properties were our farmette-in-the-City while we were employed. It provided much needed garden space. Many a vegetable and prize winning iris or liky was grown there. While
    i was working, I was not going to have a property with land out in the boonies because I didnt want to devote time to driving or taking care of another house. These houses were shells, it was the land
    i wanted.

DH did tons of work on these houses’ exteriors which will not be compensated, but that is ok. We stabilized them, 130 year old structures, and made that small corner of that neighborhood better. It was our contribution to the social fabric of St. Louis.

This is a good time to dump unwanted real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Thanks, it sure is! It was over in an eye blink! I put up a sign in the afternoon. People in the neighborhood walked by the next morning and called. I showed them the house two hours later. I walked them out to their car. Her: "it looks great, we'll have to talk it over." Him: "You said you'd be flexible, how flexible would you be willing to be?" Me: "$." He: "it's a deal." We were in the title office half an hour later, and closed about 3 weeks after that, when the title insurance was complete. I was absolutely floored, it took me seven years to take that step and about seven hours to get the result I wanted. Very empowering!
    Wow. Congratulations. That is awesome!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thank you, Catherine. Good luck, IL. My house that sold was 103 years old, and I always felt like one foot was in a singular, venerable and beloved old girl, and the other foot was in a doddering senior citizen about to give up the ghost. Huge weight off, I don't think I'd own another classic, although living in a really old one might be grand if someone else were responsible for the upkeep!

We have the realtor who sold us this house salivating over the fact that we might sell next spring or summer. I am determined to once again sell as a FSBO. $20K plus to realtors is nonsense.

Thread Information