Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I watched The Danish Girl last night, courtesy of my sister's Netflix account. I had read the book a few years back and I thought they did a great job with the movie. The acting was superb. It was so sad though. I know we still have a long way to go, but we've come a long way in the past 100 years, at least in our culture.
    That was the film that cemented my dislike of the actor Eddie Redmayne. Not his fault, and no I do not require my film actors to be Uber handsome, but his physical look is just so off putting to me. Won’t see a film he is in any more.

the costumes in The Danish Girl were great.

Why are the actresses they select to play Emma so un-Emma-like?

Took the grandkids to see Pixar's Onward--I loved it!! I was just as glued to it as GS6. So many wonderful messages--a true Joseph Campbell "Hero's Journey"-- Disney-style.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Why are the actresses they select to play Emma so un-Emma-like?
    i know, I winced a little when I saw the posters for Emma. That actress was lovely and mesmerizing in The Witch and something else I saw her in later, but I don’t see her as Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I finished watching Midsommer today. Well it’s pretty weird and I won’t say that I recommend it to those here cause I don’t think y’all will like it, But I thought it was decent.
    I made the mistake of reading up about it beforehand and spent the whole film looking for Deeper Meaning, which wasn't at all necessary, it would have been more interesting to be surprised by what was in front of me and skip the symbology lesson. I thought it was decent too, Hubs hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That was the film that cemented my dislike of the actor Eddie Redmayne. Not his fault, and no I do not require my film actors to be Uber handsome, but his physical look is just so off putting to me. Won’t see a film he is in any more.

the costumes in The Danish Girl were great.
    That's interesting. I don't see many movies, but I did also see him in The Theory of Everything. The Danish Girl was the second movie I saw him in, and for me it cemented my opinion that he is a wonderful actor. I don't find him particularly attractive, but I don't think either role was particularly playing up any masculine sex appeal he might possess.

I watched The Hundred-Foot Journey on Netflix this weekend. It was the sweetest. Helen Mirren is always amazing.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I just watched The Ladies in Black (rented) on Amazon. It's set in Australia in the late 1950s, during their Christmas/New Year's holiday, which is during their summer.

The ladies in black are the women who work at a high end department store in the women's clothing section. There is a 16 year old girl who is a temporary worker during the holidays. Another worker is a woman who was a refugee from Eastern Europe after World War II.

It's an absolutely charming movie. No sex, no violence, little bad language. The scenery and the scenery is gorgeous.

This documentary is free online. It's from Cousteau's early 80s trip on Calypso to the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/st_lawrence_...ay_to_the_sea/

A streaming series on Amazon: Making the Cut, with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, it's very similar to Project Runway, with established designers.

Thread Information