Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2020?

What movies are you watching in 2020?

I will start out the new year.

In the next few days I plan to see the new Adam Sandler film Uncut Gems which is getting strong reviews.

Also want to see Parasite.

I have seen A Marriage Story, Little Women, and The Irishman.

That pretty much rounds out films of the year I wish to see. There was little of interest this year. Hollywood deserves its declining market. To everyone who says “hey there iris, there were many excellent indie films” I say Nope, you are wrong.

I am waiting for 1917 and Mercy to come out on the 10th.

We went to see Bombshell today. Fantastic, a must see.

Tybee, we saw it yesterday and it was just okay.

This past weekend we saw three movies and coincidentally they were all about female singers with mental health issues.

Friday night: Judy. Have been dying to see it. It was maybe a 6 on a 10-pt scale, but Renee Zellweger did an admirable job of trying to capture Judy.

Saturday night: My Week with Marilyn. Also good but not great. Michelle Williams also did the essence of Marilyn Monroe justice.

Sunday night: Her Smell: About a fictional punk/grunge female lead singer (Elisabeth Moss) whose substance abuse stripped away everything in her life. It was a little long in parts and a little too much in parts, but on the whole, compelling.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Saw Little Women on NY Eve. The actors were wonderful, so well-cast, IMO. But I found the many jumps in time, flashbacks, a bit confusing.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Saw Star Wars New Years Eve. Yes, it was somewhat predictable, knowing that it is the last episode and they wanted to tie up loose ends. I don't care - I enjoyed it. SW has been a part of my life for 42 years! I remember going to see the first one in 1977 5 times - it came out the summer after I graduated from high school and I'm now 60. I love Rey's character. I tried to start The Mandalorian (sp) on Disney Plus the other day, but was busy setting up a new printer while it was on, so didn't pay enough attention to it.

Ha - just realized I should've posted this in the 2019 Movies thread!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Ford vs, Ferrari.

Great true story. My heart was beating hard and several times I had to remind myself to breathe. Matt Damon was outstanding.

Parasite was wonderful.

It is a Korean film with subtitles. It is the story of a very poor family who wiggles their way into servitude of a wealthy family. It is a comedy with sobering social commentary about haves and have nots.

Sorry if this was discussed last year, anyone see Knives Out? It's a comedy / murder mystery. I found it entertaining. A bit unrealistic, but IIR there weren't any plot twists that made me think, "no way, that just doesn't make sense." And not so convoluted that I wound up completely lost, just pleasantly turned around and then set right side up again. Thumbs up.

Also recently saw Dark Waters - again sorry if this is covered territory. Erin Brockovich-type movie, based on true story, about the evils of DuPont. It's maybe a bit too true-to-life, the big highs and lows you expect from entertainment weren't there but it was a well-told, well-played enactment.

Thread Information