Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I was on the fence, but a mumbling Meryl Streep might be something I could pass on.
    This is classic material treated thoughtfully, so I would highly reccomend it.

I preferred Parasite as the Oscar winner, I only preferred it because it was novel. It was unique.It had a strong social message but it didn’t preach preach at me therefore I was OK with it.

Geila
    Watched a few movies over the weekend with a HBO free trial and was disappointed with most of them but I did enjoy The Tale and The Mule. Ha, just saw that I obviously like simple titles! The Tale I found disturbing and scary for how vulnerable children are. The Mule was totally different than what I was expecting and I liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be rather dark and violent but was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was. Clint's still got it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am sad for you.

Lol!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Saw Just Mercy, Monday afternoon at a little theater on Campus - it had already left all the large multi-screen theaters in town. I wanted to finish the book before I went. It followed the book very closely. I found it pretty emotional - okay that is code for I cried. Some very moving parts. My wife didn't go, she was convinced I was going to be the only one there! Luckily there was what looked like a movie class in attendance and a few more - so maybe 30.

Going to a movie for me is huge - for years I only went to maybe one movie a year (usually being dragged). I decided to go to movies that interest me AND the new reclining seats are a huge plus (did I mention HUGE).

If you haven't read the book - I highly recommend it.

I finished watching Midsommer today. Well it’s pretty weird and I won’t say that I recommend it to those here cause I don’t think y’all will like it, But I thought it was decent.

I watched The Danish Girl last night, courtesy of my sister's Netflix account. I had read the book a few years back and I thought they did a great job with the movie. The acting was superb. It was so sad though. I know we still have a long way to go, but we've come a long way in the past 100 years, at least in our culture.

Watched JoJo Rabbit. Very sad but well done.

We're on our way to the movies. Wow, a movie a month! A record for us. So my preference was Parasite, but DH's preference was The Invisible Man, and I gave in to his preference, only because we get to see it in IMAX (if you're paying to go to a movie, you might as well get the most technology you can for the buck.

I'll report back.

EDITED TO ADD:

Invisible man was really good. I do recommend it if you like thrillers. I've always liked Elizabeth Moss and she was outstanding.
    Last edited by catherine; 3-2-20 at 8:37am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Downloaded Judy from Amazon Prime about 10 days ago. Unfortunately, I was putzing around my craft room while it was on. Fortunately, I can still watch it for another 2.5 weeks. Wow - what Judy Garland had to go through while she was working form MGM was awful. I was impressed with Rene Zellweger's portrayal.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I think I will watch Knives Out when it comes out on streaming services.

I had my own little Jewish film festival in theaters in the past couple of months. While I would not have considered Uncut Gems a Jewish film, several critics in the Jewish entertainment industry included it in that category, so I guess I will too. I talked about Uncut Gems above. Adam Sandler played main character in a serious role, critically acclaimed. It isn’t my kind of film, but it shined a light on an interesting world and it stayed with me.

I saw Jojo Rabbit, an Oscar nominated film. Very good. I saw Incitement about Yitzack Rabin’s assasination. It traced the development of a young Jewish radical. It was ok but easily forgettable.

I was planning to see Waiting for Anya about hiding Jewish children in WWII but it got mediocre reviews, so I skipped it.

Now I am starting up a little costume drama film festival featuring women. I saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire, lovely to watch, not as engaging as I would have hoped. Will see Emma this week. I was excited about Wendy (haha not exactly a female costume drama, but there is a female lead in a costume of sorts) but again, reviews are not good. I will skip that one.

Thread Information