Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just got done listening to a podcast on “ Snap Judgement” Recorded a couple years ago where all these wives talk about their journey out of Mormon fundamentalism.Was very good
    They seem a lot more thoughtful than the other polygamy families on television.

I'm troubled by the underlying theme in these shows that the women are kind of graded and seen as "the whiny one" or "the heavy one" like he is such a prize, and he is the one they seem to compete for, and this is okay. It feels so off to me.

I also am not okay with these huge planned families needing public assistance. Programs are for people that find themselves in a bind not ones planning a ton of kids they can’t afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm troubled by the underlying theme in these shows that the women are kind of graded and seen as "the whiny one" or "the heavy one" like he is such a prize, and he is the one they seem to compete for, and this is okay. It feels so off to me.
    well it is a dumb Reality show that is edited for people with pea sized brains to enjoy. I watch them! There must be conflict, a good guy, a bad guy, something very pretty or ugly to look at. I know exactly why people got hooked on soap operas decades ago because they had a very simple formula like these reality show: conflicts in love, lying, pregnancy/births, weddings, sickness.

I don’t think there’s much question that there’s a whole lot of editing going on to create these “story lines.”

That said, it surprised me how whiny Robyn was in the podcast. Honestly, she sounds like she’s always close to crying. Give the girl some drugs!

I watched a old movie last night with Marlon Brando playing the part of Emiliano Zapata. The movie is called Viva Zapata and it's one of my favorites. It's about the Mexican Revolution of 1910.

ZAPATA.jpg

Downton Abbey, the film—boy was THAT dumb.

Downton Abbey, the film—boy was THAT dumb.
    I agree. They tried so hard to tie up all the loose ends it came off as very contrived. But Maggie Smith made sure she wasn't going to be asked to do a sequel.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree. They tried so hard to tie up all the loose ends it came off as very contrived. But Maggie Smith made sure she wasn't going to be asked to do a sequel.
    H ahaha, good one!

There are so many weak things about the writing of this film (and the series) that I cant detail them. But I went into it thinking “ I wonder who Lady Mary’s love interest will be?” Since I did not remember the last episode on tv. When she appeared in this film to be without a husband, I wasnt surprised and thought she had lost yet another one, she has a talent for picking those who disappear.

I watched Netflix’s new documentary on Rachel Dolezal. Remember Rachel, the woman who said she was black but her parents were Caucasian?

This documentary was sympathetic to her. They managed to find a journalist who is neutral on who sent Rachel the racial threats through the mail. It showed how she took care of her younger siblings, all four of them adopted black children, and how two of them looked to her to help them out of their situation with her crazy adoptive parents. She claims her oldest brother sexually molested her and her young adopted sibling.

The documentary conveniently ignored aspects of her life including her recent cheating of the welfare system. Even though Rachel changed her name to one of African roots, she still goes by Rachel Dolezal on Instagram and who knows maybe she’s giving up that African name.

She recently and announced to the world that she is bisexual, but she said she doesn’t feel the need to practice that right now, she just didn’t want that aspect of her life to disappear. So I guess that’s why she had to announce it to the world, that’s important to us!

Her eldest biological son came off as a very nice young man, handsome and thoughtful. I hope having her as his mother isn’t too much of a burden.

I watched Netflix’s new documentary on Rachel Dolezal. Remember Rachel, the woman who said she was black but her parents were Caucasian?

This documentary was sympathetic to her. They managed to find a journalist who is neutral on who sent Rachel the racial threats through the mail. It showed how she took care of her younger siblings, all four of them adopted black children, and how two of them looked to her to help them out of their situation with her crazy adoptive parents. She claims her oldest brother sexually molested her and her young adopted sibling.

The documentary conveniently ignored aspects of her life including her recent cheating of the welfare system. Even though Rachel changed her name to one of African roots, she still goes by Rachel Dolezal on Instagram and who knows maybe she’s giving up that African name.

She recently and announced to the world that she is bisexual, but she said she doesn’t feel the need to practice that right now, she just didn’t want that aspect of her life to disappear. So I guess that’s why she had to announce it to the world, that’s important to us!

Her eldest biological son came off as a very nice young man, handsome and thoughtful. I hope having her as his mother isn’t too much of a burden.
    I don't have Netflix (yet), so haven't watched this, but read her self-serving autobiography and was unconvinced by her tales of an awful childhood. She just seems to be suffering from an advanced case of histrionic Look at Me disease. The thing about announcing her (potential?) bisexuality just serves to reinforce my initial impression. Having her in one's life would have to be endlessly exhausting.

Thread Information