Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2020?

There has been a Sharknado marathon on SyFy today. LOL. Finally got to see the ones I've missed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Surely a sharknado is on its way this year...

I watched "Frida" on Netflix last night and it was excellent! It more than made up for the crappy movie I watched last weekend!

iris lilies

Senior MemberJoin DateMar 2013Posts16,765

Last night I paid to rent a film called The Booksellers which is a documentary about the antiquarian book trade. It was produced by Parker Posey. NewGig would find that interesting probably. There are various ideas offered by the booksellers interviewed as to what will happen to the antiquarian book trade, but the general view is that it is dying and fairly quickly.

The population of booksellers is 85% male, and 95% boomer age and older. Apparently the worst nightmare of collectors and sellers is that their stock and collection “goes to auction“ when they die. For collectors that means their carefully selected collection that has been chosen according to a theme is broken up and disbursed.

The Internet was called by one major bookseller to be the first major deathblow to the trade.I found this fascinating because for me as a collector, the web opened up the world of book stock to make it easy to find things that you were looking for.

And that is exactly what is wrong with the Internet according to this book seller, the mystery and excitement of the Hunt which drove up prices and created mystique disappeared with Internet book stock listings.

They talked about Gotham City bookstore closing and I remember what a big deal that was because my library ended up buying a few things from that sale. They talked about Jeff Bezos wanting to pair with A B Bookman Weekly’s publisher and that publisher turnEd down Bezos, and not surprisingly afterwards went bankrupt.

I've rediscovered the two seasons of History Cold Case--available on You Tube and Amazon Prime Video--in which a forensic team analyzes old bones to try to establish how they died and what they looked like. Good stuff!

We just watched Saboteur by Alfred Hitchcock. Unfortunately, now the library has closed again, so no more browsing for movies for a while.

Seeing Norman Lloyd has inspired us to look up St. Elsewhere, and once we finish House, we'll start that one. We thought it would be fun to watch it together, since we didn't know each other when it came on the first time, and we both loved it.

Ohh, and we just learned Norman Lloyd is now 106 years old and is living through his second pandemic, since he lived through the 1918 flu epidemic.

LOL - didn't see this thread when I started the other. And I had even posted here - Duh on me! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I watched a really good movie on Netflix last night, His House. It's a really creative combination of a heart-tugging refugee drama and a horror movie. It made me jump out of my seat more than once and I thought the acting was amazing, the main characters were so genuine. So if you are looking for a good horror flick for Christmas, lol, I highly recommend this one!

Watched a good one yesterday, The Dressmaker, starring Kate Winslet whom I like in most anything. Set in Australia, a gritty movie, awesome performance by KW and Judy Davis. Highly recommend.

Yppej
    The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,

Thread Information