Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 States Increasing Minimum Wage 1/1/2020

Interesting. It seems I was wrong about the minimum wage level in my own state and am glad to see the increase. Sadly, I thought it was higher, but at least it is going up.

Thanks for posting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

More disposable income should make a lot of simple livers lives easier, if only a little.

Be wary of unintended consequences.

One of our local restaurants closed for remodeling and when it reopened, the whole concept was now counter order and food delivered to table with number. Reason given: cost of employees.

We also have a huge number of Amazon warehouses that are going robotic as much as possible to reduce employees and therefore cost of labor.

Rise in part time only work here is considered by many to be caused by cost of the fringe benefits for full time employees.

So it is good for those who can find a job but does not help those who cannot find a job and may find it even harder than ever to find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Given that per IRS statistics (meaning that the US Government is ACTUALLY fessing up to this), fully half of all US workers make less than 30K a year.
    What is your specific source?

The easy-to-find standard government statistics seem to indicate your number is low, if you are going by median income, unless you are somehow factoring in kids with newspaper routes.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Some state governments are increasing the minimum wage, as follow:...

Meanwhile the movement for a living wage continues...
    I've noticed an increasingly common conflation the past few years of "minimum wage" with "living wage".

I saw a bunch of articles last week complaining that the average apartment couldn't be rented in many cities on a minimum wage income. As if that was some new social injustice.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Yes. If relevant. This is.
    Thank You, Flowerseverywhere. Rob

Has anyone found a source that shows what percentage of workers in each state are earning that state's minimum wage? Or data showing how many people nationwide are earning the minimum wage for wherever they live? The only data I've been able to find is that only 4.3% of workers (as of 2013) earn the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. That's not particularly surprising given that the majority of americans live in states or localities with minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage. And it makes the statistic about how many people earn the federal minimum completely pointless and misleading. I realize that this becomes complicated (and is probably why I can't find the data I would like to see). For instance in California the minimum is now $13.50, but for anyone working in San Francisco the minimum is now $15, so one can't just look at the california minimum and compare it to the number of Californians earning $13.50/hour to get an accurate number. All the workers who have jobs in San Francisco that pay $15 wouldn't be counted as minimum wage workers even though they are.

In Nevada many of the minimum wage workers get tips. For instance the cocktail waitresses and bartenders make good money. So the statistics would be misleading.

Yppej
    I thought it is legal to pay below minimum wage for tipped workers.

I understand that in each states there is a minimum wage, and if an employee receives a tip, a portion of the tip is a "tip credit" which reduces the cash wage the employer must pay.

There is information on Tipped Min. Wage" for each state at http://www.minimum-wage.org

Thread Information